My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts" - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Is it difficult to get started?
Let's see, city zoning approval (Lawyers) , store front, redecorating, display cases, insurance, FFL lic., inventory (guns), cash register, credit card processing equipment, telephones, advertising, safes for money and guns at night, alarm systems, security cameras, maybe a employee or two.

Yes I would say it is difficult.
Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 10-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Let's see, city zoning approval (Lawyers) , store front, redecorating, display cases, insurance, FFL lic., inventory, cash register, credit card processing equipment, telephones, advertising, safes for money and guns at night, alarm systems, security cameras, maybe a employee or two.

Jim
That's all stuff I've actually considered (meaning I'm cognizant that I will need). Nothing new, really. I'm just hoping not to be blind-sided.

Thanks.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I was told the two most expensive Businesses to start are Computer Stores & Gun Shops...
You're probably right. That doesn't really deter me, though. When I get out of the military I hope to do it. Many years down the road.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #74

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Let's see, city zoning approval (Lawyers) , store front, redecorating, display cases, insurance, FFL lic., inventory (guns), cash register, credit card processing equipment, telephones, advertising, safes for money and guns at night, alarm systems, security cameras, maybe a employee or two.

Jim
Other than I haven't needed a lawyer (yet) I'd say that list is fairly complete.
For inventory you need both the money (or credit) to get them and distributors to get them from.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperheadHill View Post
Other than I haven't needed a lawyer (yet) I'd say that list is fairly complete.
For inventory you need both the money (or credit) to get them and distributors to get them from.
If you don't have $500K for inventory after you have the doors open I wouldn't get into the gun business. There are so many gun shops in this area that don't have as many guns in their shop as I have in my safes for my personal collection. You need cash in hand to buy lots of guns when the price is right. Most of the time when the price is right someone has a bunch of guns they want to sell all as one lot. Otherwise your shop will just be another outlet for Davidsons and a FFL pickup.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #76

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I understand what you are saying. Most of my lgs are good people with decent deals but we all have that one which leaves us with a bad taste in our mouths. One store in western pa which has been around for 50+ years is mine. They hack up the prices to make twice of what they should, degrade you and your knowledge and try to steal anything you want to trade, oh but the best part are the regulars and owners who laugh at any question you have that they think everyone knows but truly 99% of people do not know. Don't let the minority get the best of you because I have found the small shops who value their customers as more than customers is great.

I found a store near my college campus which is an hour away from my home (when I'm not at school) which became the only shop I will deal with because the deals and service they give. Everything is on a first name basis which means a lot and I am by no means a regular around their. Take it all with a big grain if salt and you will find the true people like us

Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
If you don't have $500K for inventory after you have the doors open I wouldn't get into the gun business.
$500k just for inventory? For what I had in mind, which is basically a tiny little gun store, that seems pretty excessive.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #78
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Try being a female, walking into one of those "good o'l boy" gun shops...Luckily for me, RG works at my LGS. She has them all straightened out. Its the only gun shop/range around here where a female can go in, look around, ask questions, feel comfortable......And not be treated like a retard..
well my LGS treats women very fairly and the owners wife herself is very knowledgeable about guns and carries.

i have seen it many times a place taking advantage of a woman simply because she was unfamiliar with certain things. shameful IMO. i have worked in the automotive repair industry for many years and saw such treatment. just because a person is unfamiliar with something, is not a good reason to take advantage of them.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #79

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

If you don't have $500K for inventory after you have the doors open I wouldn't get into the gun business. There are so many gun shops in this area that don't have as many guns in their shop as I have in my safes for my personal collection. You need cash in hand to buy lots of guns when the price is right. Most of the time when the price is right someone has a bunch of guns they want to sell all as one lot. Otherwise your shop will just be another outlet for Davidsons and a FFL pickup.
Run!!! They have infiltrated our forum!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #80

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
So, by implication, my .45 acp CCO (I don't have a .357 carry gun, yet...) must mean I fall into the "type they are talking about"?
You realize of course, stereotyping thing works both ways, right? Yeah, you're doing it too.
Without getting into specifics, I won't question anyone's manhood based on what they choose to carry. Judgement maybe, not manhood. Does that still make me "type they are talking about?"
No...What I said is the people that say no matter what this is the manly round and everyone has to sheepwalk their way to it. I guess I hit a little too close to home or something?

BTW, I usually carry a 45 myself but I wont feel outgunned with a 38. 357,9mm, or .40. I say people should shoot what the shoot best. I've said this in about every caliber thread on this forum for years. A 45 in the hands of a person afraid to shoot a 45 will just have a noisy paperweight in their hands. I happen to shoot a 45 better in a hurry than other calibers. I get better follow up shots wit ha 45. My wife can't. So a 45 is useless to her and telling her she has t use it because it's the only thing a grown up should use is useless info form a useless person.

So if you're getting a little but-hurt because you think I threatened your manhood in some non existent fashion that's your misunderstanding to deal with. Looks to me though like you need to do some stretching before all that conclusion jumping...You'll pull a hammy.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson