My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts" - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #61
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
There are a lot of old fat guys here, too. You might learn a thing or two free from them unlike the guys behind the counter at the small LGS or big chain who are trying to sell you something with a fat commission for them. Learn all you can, don't trust the salesman to choose what's best for you.

Honestly, low information buyers deserve whatever a salesman foists off them! (Not singling anyone out, just speaking in general.) And racism isn't exclusive to older folks.
and of course there are the noobs who buy something without any research on their part, and then post on a forum, "i just a _________ firearm. are they any good?"

the time for research is before you buy, not afterwards.

another method is to find a shop that has good people owning and running it and build a relationship with them. this is what i did. i have been dealing with my LGS for about 5-6 years now and have complete trust and confidence in them.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #62

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My wife and I got into guns just a few years ago. I grew up around 22's and shotguns with zero knowledge of handguns. My wife knew even less. We tromped into every LGS in our area as well as the Academy's and Bass Pro type shops. We would tell them we were new to handguns and looking into getting one. We had only shot once before and that was for our CHL class.

For the most part the small shops could tell we didn't know much and would either blow us off, or go into their 'I'm superior to you' mode. One even said they could answer our question but we wouldn't understand the answer (so basically get the heck out as you are wasting my time). One shop agreed to spend some time with us if we would pay their $75/hour rate to talk to an instructor. Geesh. Is that any way to treat someone that is looking to spend a lot of money over the course of time? I don't think so.

Anyway fast forward to now. We opened our own gun store this last weekend. I'm the first one to tell a customer that I don't know everything but will certainly try to find out an answer their question if I don't know it.

I don't mind them looking at 6 different ones in the case. In the end it needs to be a pleasant experience for them when they buy it and when they shoot it.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperheadHill View Post
Anyway fast forward to now. We opened our own gun store this last weekend. I'm the first one to tell a customer that I don't know everything but will certainly try to find out an answer their question if I don't know it.
Good luck with your gunstore. I hope it works out for you.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #64

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
there's a gun store here in town I absolutely will not go in anymore, yes it's a small locally owned one. I bought a used shotgun there years ago & had nice friendly service & BS'ed with the counter guy about motorcycles & stuff, I walked out with a good opinion of that store. next 3 times I went in there I dealt with different employees that looked at me like I was some worthless kid with no more than pocket lint to my name.

The last time I was in there I asked to look at a gun & the counter guy told me "you don't want that one, you want this one over here." The hell I do, I asked to see the first one. On that same trip there was a guy lookin at a HiPoint 45 they had. the counter guy tells him "it's a junk gun, don't bother with it, it's not safe, it's not reliable, blah blah blah, you need this $600 glock instead." The guy looked at him & said "well if this gun is such garbage, how come you're selling it in your shop?" the counter guy hesitated & responded "we got it as a trade." "So. You just told me it's unsafe, why would you sell an unsafe, worthless junk gun?" at which point I chuckled, nice to see the prick put in his place in a store full of people.

Sad thing is that store will probably continue to thrive even if the employee attitudes don't change. They have a client base of the the owner's buddies who probably spend more on guns & ammo in a month than I do in a year.

There's a small shop here that I wont buy from because the owner is a tool. It seems he'd rather talk to to some old dead pecker friends (that never seem to buy anything) than maker a sale. I tried asking him abut a pistol that got me a look like he just smelled a spicy fart then priced it right at MSRP. So yeah, there are small shops that can be a PITA. Thank God there is another local shop and several within 30 miles of me that are all smaller so I can not spend money there and feel OK with it.
I'm still not willing to go to the big shops in the area because the service is crap and the people working don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I will buty some ammo at Walmart but other than that I like a couple small shops around here. Both being pawn shops but they sell new also. One is run by a retired LEO and he's a blast to do business with. He's the type that you come in acting liek a mall ninja or some kind of as hat wanna be expert he'ss let you pay sticker. You show a little respect and act like you had some upbringing the price goes way down. I bought my Para P14 for 350 bucks from hm that I watched him price to another guy at 550. But the guy was really Geko45-like.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #65

Liked 1891 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebowman446 View Post
I Began my firearm hobby about 3 months ago and I will make it clear- I'm a fan. I have been buying weapons like a nervous republican- semis. Revolvers. Etc. I took the concealed carry class in my home state. So- just to be clear. I'm a fan of firearms, the second amendment and carrying a weapon wherever I go.
That being said. I can't stand gun stores and or gun enthusiasts. It seems to be men who haven't grown up who are desperate for attention like a 13 year old boy.They just can't wait to tell you about THEIR opinions on weapons and how THEY handle them, clean them, etc. I liken them to contractors- nobody does work like they do and eeeeeevery one else is an idiot.
Example- my conceal carry class was basically this pitiful 45 year old guy bringing out his ENTIRE collection and giggling about things like-how he took an assault rifle bigger than a refrigerator to mcdonalds and how the police promptly showed up and couldn't arrest him after detaining him.
Example-folks who tend to frequent gun shops (I've been to 6 in the last two months in two states) tend to be racist. I literally stopped going to a local shop where I found semi ok prices and selection- because after the third time I stopped in the local old fat guys who commonly stand around the joint were discussing how violence and drug addiction are in certain ethnicities blood and that's why they carry a concealed weapon when they take their grand daughter to __________.
So I say loud and proud. I now shop at big chain places. I happily pay an extra 30-40 dollars for a firearm because the experience doesn't otherwise lower my opinion of this sub culture of America and I can go on pretending that we aren't exactly what democrats would make us out to be - racist, insecure morons who have no business with a weapon.
I'd like to believe That we are reasonable, capable and responsible citizens who can and will be prepared to protect anything and everything inside the borders of this country.
#vent
Try being a female, walking into one of those "good o'l boy" gun shops...Luckily for me, RG works at my LGS. She has them all straightened out. Its the only gun shop/range around here where a female can go in, look around, ask questions, feel comfortable......And not be treated like a retard..

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #66
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperheadHill
My wife and I got into guns just a few years ago. I grew up around 22's and shotguns with zero knowledge of handguns. My wife knew even less. We tromped into every LGS in our area as well as the Academy's and Bass Pro type shops. We would tell them we were new to handguns and looking into getting one. We had only shot once before and that was for our CHL class.

For the most part the small shops could tell we didn't know much and would either blow us off, or go into their 'I'm superior to you' mode. One even said they could answer our question but we wouldn't understand the answer (so basically get the heck out as you are wasting my time). One shop agreed to spend some time with us if we would pay their $75/hour rate to talk to an instructor. Geesh. Is that any way to treat someone that is looking to spend a lot of money over the course of time? I don't think so.

I don't mind them looking at 6 different ones in the case. In the end it needs to be a pleasant experience for them when they buy it and when they shoot it.
Best of Luck! where are you located?

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #67

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Best of Luck! where are you located?
Kaufman, Texas

Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperheadHill View Post
Kaufman, Texas
I'm thinking about starting a gunstore in TX in the future (we're talking like 15 years down the road). Is it difficult to get started?

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #69

I was told teh two most expensive Businesses to start are Computer Stores & Gun Shops...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
I was told teh two most expensive Businesses to start are Computer Stores & Gun Shops...
The is the correct spelling..