My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts" - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
Actually Anna, the Libertarian Party was sitting and talking at that table long before anybody else even started brewing some tea.... didn't you get the invite girlfriend??
Ya, I got the invite from Ron Paul, who is my world is a whack job that always gets government hand outs and then doesnt vote for them when he knows the bill will be passed anyways. Thats the chicken S&*^ way of doing business in washington, and I wouldnt want him as my poster child

Old 10-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #42

Liked 2216 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I can understand the OP's frustration. I don't like being treated like I am a fool. I know what the MSRP is on a gun if I am looking to buy it. I have had so many people in gun shops tell me they can't get a gun for MSRP. Long before the internet was available I would call the manufacturer to find out what good price was on their products. Then on top of the price BS you have someone who acts like it's a chore to help you. I just order my guns online. I make it a point not to buy accessories from the LGS. All they get is their $40 FFL transfer fee.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #43

Liked 406 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 6

there's a gun store here in town I absolutely will not go in anymore, yes it's a small locally owned one. I bought a used shotgun there years ago & had nice friendly service & BS'ed with the counter guy about motorcycles & stuff, I walked out with a good opinion of that store. next 3 times I went in there I dealt with different employees that looked at me like I was some worthless kid with no more than pocket lint to my name.

The last time I was in there I asked to look at a gun & the counter guy told me "you don't want that one, you want this one over here." The hell I do, I asked to see the first one. On that same trip there was a guy lookin at a HiPoint 45 they had. the counter guy tells him "it's a junk gun, don't bother with it, it's not safe, it's not reliable, blah blah blah, you need this $600 glock instead." The guy looked at him & said "well if this gun is such garbage, how come you're selling it in your shop?" the counter guy hesitated & responded "we got it as a trade." "So. You just told me it's unsafe, why would you sell an unsafe, worthless junk gun?" at which point I chuckled, nice to see the prick put in his place in a store full of people.

Sad thing is that store will probably continue to thrive even if the employee attitudes don't change. They have a client base of the the owner's buddies who probably spend more on guns & ammo in a month than I do in a year.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #44

Liked 444 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Seems like the "been there, done that know all about it" types are universal type critters as we have plenty of them here as well.

Love listening to their "expert" opinions on what gun,calibre projectile is best and it's the only calibre,gun or projectile that kills everything from mice to elephants.

When you confront them with hard fact or your own experiences especially in front of a potential customer they get a bit snakey and have a hissy fit.
Don't like it when they try and sell a potential customer especially a noobie something that isn't going to suit them at all and I can't help but step in and stop turning a potential shooter into a gun hater or at the least a badly mis informed hunter.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #45

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The thing is though, there's nothing dangerous about trying to put a .357 Magnum in a gun chambered in .38 Special, because the cylinder literally won't close.... So I don't see how a life could have been saved. They'd realize it doesn't work as soon as they try to close the cylinder.
My main concern with the issue is if the shop person was dumb enough to state really wrong info then someone is going to get hurt.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6353 Times on 3369 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The thing is though, there's nothing dangerous about trying to put a .357 Magnum in a gun chambered in .38 Special, because the cylinder literally won't close.... So I don't see how a life could have been saved. They'd realize it doesn't work as soon as they try to close the cylinder.
geniuses will MAKE it fit cuz the guy at cabela's said it would...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #47

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I understand. I run into calibor snubs all the time. they usually question my manhood because I perfer to carry a very little 32acp. Or my vintage 1956 s&w chief special 38spl

Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
I understand. I run into calibor snubs all the time. they usually question my manhood because I perfer to carry a very little 32acp. Or my vintage 1956 s&w chief special 38spl
What ever works

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
What? Do they say something like "Are you not happy to see me, or is that just a Chiefs special in your pocket?"
Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
What? Do they say something like "Are you not happy to see me, or is that just a Chiefs special in your pocket?"
..heh

I've run into the type they are talking about. It's like if you shoot anything smaller than <insert manly caliber here> then you are not a real big dog shooter and need to stay on the porch. I've always thought that was really stupid and can only advise people when they ask me about calibers to go with what they can shoot best. a 22 might not be a big man stopper per se but I'll take it in a pinch. Revolver guys it's usually a 357. Auto loaders it's a 45ACP. I like to make examples of many of these types as they might have the "big man caliber" but can not hot the broad side of their own ass with it in their back pocket. So in these cases that big man stopper is of little to no use. I guess it's a good thing I rarely go to public ranges any more.

Thomas Jefferson