My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts" - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Even democrats like and own guns, so I'd imagine a good cross section of those idjuts at the stores were democrats as well. Don't overlook them.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not a fan of chain shops, PARTICULARLY GOOSE BUMP/GANDER MOUNTAIN. They don't get/keep informed help, and IME don't stand behind their product like a smaller shop.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #23

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I went into a big store once.I witnessed entirely too much dumbassery to ever spend any money. and I left to go to my fav little shop where I ended up paying less and the guy knew the difference in a 38 spl & 357 magnum. I use that quip because the big box store "expert" actually said it worked both ways. Using a 357 in a 38 would work but don't do it too much. I did correct Johnny asshat before I left to hopefully save a life but there's no telling how many times the....advise...could have been given out.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
hopefully save a life but there's no telling how many times the....advise...could have been given out.
The thing is though, there's nothing dangerous about trying to put a .357 Magnum in a gun chambered in .38 Special, because the cylinder literally won't close.... So I don't see how a life could have been saved. They'd realize it doesn't work as soon as they try to close the cylinder.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I went into a big store once.I witnessed entirely too much dumbassery to ever spend any money. and I left to go to my fav little shop where I ended up paying less and the guy knew the difference in a 38 spl & 357 magnum. I use that quip because the big box store "expert" actually said it worked both ways. Using a 357 in a 38 would work but don't do it too much. I did correct Johnny asshat before I left to hopefully save a life but there's no telling how many times the....advise...could have been given out.
Some Goose Bump goober convinced my sister that .44 special wouldn't work in the Ragin Bull .44 mag she had bought her husband, not even for plinking on the range.

I have enjoyed pricing the used handguns at Goose Bump; the prices are usually about the same as the ones shown on Bud's online store for new handguns.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-03-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2696 Times on 1570 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

As with any entity offering a product or service, vote with your dollars. No on likes to give their hard earned money to either an a$$hole or an a$$hat!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3015 Times on 2053 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
not for sure where you live to be running into such upstanding individuals!

there are kooks and weirdos every where you go, even the gun stores. me, i tend to frequent certain gun stores based on what the owners are like, not the customers.

over the years, i have run across just about every type of gun owner there is, from the mild mannered to the ultra militant type. there are all type out there, and if you frequent enough gun stores, pawn shops, and gun shows long enough, you will run across them.
I had a similar situation with a Range/Gunshop Up in Flag, They were just Ginormous Major azzhats!! They kept talking under their Breath About My Wife And I(we're a little older and I walk with a Cane sometimes when my back reminds me it was broken in about 7 places and when my Ankle tells me the Weather is changing) Until I confronted one young Jerkoff who said something About my "Army" shirt (back said US ARMY Aviation & front says "Military Order of the Purple Heart" So I said " you wanna say something Funny about me son, you'd Better At least respect me enough to say it to my FACE" he Then Brazenly Said "You really Have a Purple Heart" before I could answer My Wife Said "and a Bunch of others Too!!" I just picked up my Shirt and Showed him part of the 3' scar from the middle of my chest down and the pink spot next to it from the AK-74 Round. We left and didn't not shoot.....Just left 500+ assd. rds of ammo on the counter and all...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #28
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3015 Times on 2053 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
446, the only part of your rant I might disagree with is your affection for the big box stores. I've found they're like big box auto parts stores. Of the 8-10 guys behind the counter, 1 maybe 2, (if you're lucky), know what they're talking about. The rest know what their computer tells them, very little else. I personally prefer the one on one service of my LGS, as well as hands-on knowledge of their products. Are there buffoons around? Sometimes. You can find bigots at church on Sunday. I keep them at arm's length, go about my business.
Lucky that when i have to buy at Wally or Big 5 I know who to talk to that knows at least "something about something." My Reloader Pal who also has his own FFL works at my wally and thats one of the only reasons I still go there at all...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #29

Liked 2706 Times on 1587 Posts
Likes Given: 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebowman446 View Post
I Began my firearm hobby about 3 months ago and I will make it clear- I'm a fan. I have been buying weapons like a nervous republican- semis. Revolvers. Etc. I took the concealed carry class in my home state. So- just to be clear. I'm a fan of firearms, the second amendment and carrying a weapon wherever I go.
That being said. I can't stand gun stores and or gun enthusiasts. It seems to be men who haven't grown up who are desperate for attention like a 13 year old boy.They just can't wait to tell you about THEIR opinions on weapons and how THEY handle them, clean them, etc. I liken them to contractors- nobody does work like they do and eeeeeevery one else is an idiot.
Example- my conceal carry class was basically this pitiful 45 year old guy bringing out his ENTIRE collection and giggling about things like-how he took an assault rifle bigger than a refrigerator to mcdonalds and how the police promptly showed up and couldn't arrest him after detaining him.
Example-folks who tend to frequent gun shops (I've been to 6 in the last two months in two states) tend to be racist. I literally stopped going to a local shop where I found semi ok prices and selection- because after the third time I stopped in the local old fat guys who commonly stand around the joint were discussing how violence and drug addiction are in certain ethnicities blood and that's why they carry a concealed weapon when they take their grand daughter to __________.
So I say loud and proud. I now shop at big chain places. I happily pay an extra 30-40 dollars for a firearm because the experience doesn't otherwise lower my opinion of this sub culture of America and I can go on pretending that we aren't exactly what democrats would make us out to be - racist, insecure morons who have no business with a weapon.
I'd like to believe That we are reasonable, capable and responsible citizens who can and will be prepared to protect anything and everything inside the borders of this country.
#vent
hmmm... i like local gun stores after i learned 1 golden rule:

DON'T ASK gun store employees a damn thing!!!!!! walk to the counter and tell them what you want!!!!

seriously, we live in the information age. why do you need a grumpy old man behind a gun counter to tell you his opinion? walk to them, "lemme see this & that" .....buy what you thoroughly researched.....go home happy!

Last edited by hawkguy; 10-03-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #30

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Elbowman

I spent 28 years as a lawman. As a group, I like cops. But there are some I just cannot stand.

I've been a church-going, Bible-thumping Christian all my life. As a group, I like Christians. But there are some I just cannot stand.

One of the best ways to learn about gun so you can separate the wheat from the chaff is to read good information. Check out the public library and see what they have. Perhaps join a local gun club.

Then you'll know who in the gun shop just might have some decent information - even if they are a bigoted so-and-so. In the quest for knowledge, one must separate 'competence' from 'likability'.

Welcome here.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

People Like This