Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My impressions of gun stores and folks who seem to be "enthusiasts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19960 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

not for sure where you live to be running into such upstanding individuals!

there are kooks and weirdos every where you go, even the gun stores. me, i tend to frequent certain gun stores based on what the owners are like, not the customers.

over the years, i have run across just about every type of gun owner there is, from the mild mannered to the ultra militant type. there are all type out there, and if you frequent enough gun stores, pawn shops, and gun shows long enough, you will run across them.

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #12

Liked 349 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

446, the only part of your rant I might disagree with is your affection for the big box stores. I've found they're like big box auto parts stores. Of the 8-10 guys behind the counter, 1 maybe 2, (if you're lucky), know what they're talking about. The rest know what their computer tells them, very little else. I personally prefer the one on one service of my LGS, as well as hands-on knowledge of their products. Are there buffoons around? Sometimes. You can find bigots at church on Sunday. I keep them at arm's length, go about my business.
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #13

Liked 176 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 50

It sounds to me like you just had a run of subpar luck with the folks you met. I have been visiting gun stores for a few years and find that most folks do not get very far into politics or personal feelings. There really is no benefit in doing so. Enjoy this site and you will learn a lot from the experienced people who come here. I know that I have learned quite a bit here.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
local old fat guys who commonly stand around the joint were discussing how violence and drug addiction are in certain ethnicities blood and that's why they carry a concealed weapon when they take their grand daughter to __________.
FWIW, The results of some trend/threat analysis can appear racist/bigoted/prejudiced, without actually intending to. The more PC alternative is to put on rose colored glasses and pretend that certain neighborhoods are not more dangerous than others.
The guy wearing the suicide vest screaming "Allahu Akbar " probably isn't a Buddhist. The guys shooting each other in Chicago are very likely NOT upper middle class, trust fund white kids. Realities, like facts, are stubborn things. Ignoring obvious, sometimes unpleasant realities doesn't make one tolerant, it makes one a victim in waiting.
Of course they might still be racists. That said, guidance from a racist telling you to avoid a certain part of town might still be worth your consideration.
FWIW, I'm an "old fat white guy." In some people's eyes, anyway. You might wish to consider how you describe others before you start calling people racist.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #15

Liked 238 Times on 169 Posts

I understand his rant. I first shot about 25 years ago when my Dad joined a club. I was in college so I only shot occasionally. I don't hunt, but do love my free hog and venison from the neighbor! I really started getting into this lifestyle, I won't call it a hobby, last winter. MOST people I have dealt with or met have been great, and very helpful. I travel a lot so I have probably been in at least a few dozen gun stores and big retailers. Only 1 guy has given me the impression he couldn't help or answer my question. The people and NRA instructors I have met at classes have been good solid people. Yes, there have been a few people in classes I don't think should own a gun, but it isn't my call. Like the lady that asked at the end of the 8 hour CC class that asked if she had to remove her magazine removed from her Glock when she was on an airplane. FACEPALM! I also have seen people at the range or Sheriff's office that I would want to go through the whole NSA strip search procedure. But, again, it isn't my call. Maybe they are rock solid, but they sure looked sketchy.

Anyway, IMO it is very much like most sub cultures and hobbies. It takes all types. I just try to associate and work with people I think are more experienced or knowledgeable than me so I can keep learning. I know there are pockets of people out there that I couldn't bond with or develop friendships with so I just avoid them. We have 1 local gun shop here like that. They are not easy to deal with, and treat people poorly so I just go elsewhere.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebowman446 View Post
So I went on this big rant and realized I was just having a reaction to interacting with folks....
I have felt your pain... Anyway WELCOME to the forum from Union County, NC

Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #17

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

I've been shooting for many years and have bought and sold more firearms than I can remember. I understand where the OP is coming from.

It seems to be human nature sometimes for people to try and convince me that what they like is "better" than what I like. Whether it be their new phone, automobile, underwear whatever! LOL

Same way at the gym. Some people want you to change your workout to what they like. A gun store can be a testosterone filled environment with half the guys competing to be alpha male and prove their way is better. I just smile and go about my business.

Take it with a grain of salt. Usually the "know it all types" don't have a clue. If you need advice ask the quiet guy stocking the shelves. Chances are he knows his stuff.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

My personal experience on purchasing firearms at a chain store is almost as painful as the dentist.

Rarely does one see a true gun person behind the counter there. Most are regular employees who are making their way to a better job. I am not faulting them, but most do not have firearms experience.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19960 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
My personal experience on purchasing firearms at a chain store is almost as painful as the dentist.

Rarely does one see a true gun person behind the counter there. Most are regular employees who are making their way to a better job. I am not faulting them, but most do not have firearms experience.
i agree. if you shop in many of the big stores, you had better know what you need or want, because it's very unlikely the guy behind the counter does.

just a couple weeks ago. while at the local WallyWorld store, i overheard the sore employee telling a customer that a 22lr wasn't big enough for killing deer, but he needed the 22 mag. instead. i had to speak up! i informed them using a rimfire in the state of Texas was illegal and doing so would land them in jail with all of their stuff impounded. the store employee said i must be mistaken. i simply showed him in black and white where it said that in the game laws. he was fit to be tied!
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #20

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i agree. if you shop in many of the big stores, you had better know what you need or want, because it's very unlikely the guy behind the counter does.

just a couple weeks ago. while at the local WallyWorld store, i overheard the sore employee telling a customer that a 22lr wasn't big enough for killing deer, but he needed the 22 mag. instead. i had to speak up! i informed them using a rimfire in the state of Texas was illegal and doing so would land them in jail with all of their stuff impounded. the store employee said i must be mistaken. i simply showed him in black and white where it said that in the game laws. he was fit to be tied!
Good on you. You shared valuable info.... Whether someone gets mad or embarrassed is beside the point. You saved someone, somewhere some grief. I overheard an employee at a chain store very recently tell a potential buyer that the rifle they were looking at... one chambered in .223 would also fire the 5.56 NATO.... I had to politely butt in and say "Don't you mean the other way around? I'm sure if it's chambered for 5.56 it'll shoot the 223 as well... But not vise-versa." ...The sales person started to argue the point ... Then I pulled it up on my smartphone (I love technology!!) and even showed him some pics of my last year's build... I then quipped to the customer "I have been doing research on this AR thing.. so I know what I wanted before spending".
The guy behind the counter put the rifle away and moved on to other things, but never acknowledged any misinformation, said anything else to me.. indeed I became invisible to that person for the rest of my shopping... The customer on the other hand asked me a couple of more questions and even asked for website recommendations (I of course told him to check out the FTF..) and was very thankful and appreciative of my time... So I turned back to getting my ammo (why I was there in the first place... AND THANK YOU GOD.. IT WAS IN STOCK !!) ... paid and left.

Only one thing bothers me though... How many shooters out there have a 223chambered rifle bought at this place, haven't read the manual completely and have or are going to shoot 5.56 through it because of .....????