Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   my gun is a mess, help cleaning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/my-gun-mess-help-cleaning-8020/)

calikid2006 10-27-2008 07:19 PM

my gun is a mess, help cleaning

Sorry if this has been answered numerous times... I just shot about 500 rounds at the range with my Walther 22 handgun and I used lead Federal rounds which turn out to be quite dirty. My gun is full of gunk where there is no way in hell I can even reach it to clean it, even when taken apart.

What can I do?

supergus 10-27-2008 09:50 PM

First off, welcome!
Now, I know you said you can't get to all the gunk, but most (every one that I've owned) handguns can be completely disassembled to the bare frame. Learn to detail strip it. Even if you can't, soak it in Hoppe's #9, Shooter's Choice foaming Gun Scrubber, or some thing similar. If you use a liquid cleaner, completely submerge the gun/parts. With a foaming cleaner, just spray the heck out of it. Either way, let it soak for a while, brush any stubborn fouling, and then hose it down with bore cleaner (similar to brake cleaner in that it leaves no residue). then apply a little gun oil to a rag and wipe everything down.

calikid2006 10-27-2008 10:11 PM

Thanks a bunch.
I was thinking along the lines of submerging the gun in something, as you said. Are there any products I can get at say a sporting good store that will work for submerging the gun? How about mineral spirits?

dragunovsks 10-27-2008 11:33 PM

That gunscrubber stuff that Supergus suggested works pretty good, I also use a set of cheap dental picks and an old tooth brush to get to hard to reach area in my AR. You should be able to get a set of picks at a flea market, that's where I got mine.

Also, most .22 ammo is dirty. My .22LR rifle has to be cleaned about every 200 rounds, gets gummed up pretty quick. It doesn't like to cycle when dirty.

matt g 10-27-2008 11:50 PM

See if you can't find a bucket of Polydunkit.

supergus 10-28-2008 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 47352)
See if you can't find a bucket of Polydunkit.

I think Cylinder & Slide make that.

matt g 10-28-2008 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergus (Post 47394)
I think Cylinder & Slide make that.

Yup.

10char

john_101 10-28-2008 10:48 AM

i dont know what exactly to do with that type of your gun but do it quick because its getting bad if its not clean for long time

Mark F 10-28-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calikid2006 (Post 47336)
Thanks a bunch.
I was thinking along the lines of submerging the gun in something, as you said. Are there any products I can get at say a sporting good store that will work for submerging the gun? How about mineral spirits?

Mineral Spirits won't clean your gun worth a crap. You need to use nitro solvent in whatever form you like. I use spray... there are also solvents available to soak your gun in, if you like.

Rentacop 11-02-2008 10:38 PM

.22s Do not tend to lead up the bore too much .
You can spray the gun with G-96 Gun Treatment and let it soak overnight . In the morning, brush everything with a nylon brush similar to a toothbrush, available from Kleenbore . Then spray it out with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber or equivalent to remove the G-96 and all of the fouling it soaked loose .

Swab the bore first with a patch and G-96 . Follow with a brush, wet patches altenated with dry patches, and finish with a wet patch . Lightly oil the gun by wiping it down with G-96. Let it dry, and wipe off the excess . For long term storage, spray it again with G-96 and don'y wipe it off .
You can modify this procedure by substituting your choice of gun oil for the final lubrication .