Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My First Hand Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My First Hand Gun

Hi there, I have shot guns before and have a knack for it, very first day at the range I hit a 3 Inch ball at 40 yards with a hand gun and got the Title "The Wolf" for being the 10th person to hit it with only 6 shots at the end of their qualify / re-qualifying.

Ok now to the point i have found 4 guns i am Interested in buying but i can only afford one and it will also be the weapon i carry at my job, and of course take out to the range due to my new found love of it.

I'll list them in price low to high at the shop near me.

Taurus Model 82 Homeland Security Medium Frame Revolver 2820041, 38 Special, 4", Rubber Grip, Blue Finish, 6 Rd

Taurus Model 24/7 Pro Long Slide Pistol 1247409PLS, 40 S&W, 5.2", Ribber Grip Overlay Grip, Stainless Finish, 10 Rd

Rossi Double Action Revolver R97206, 357 Remington Mag, 6 in, Black Rubber Grip, Stainless Finish, 6 rd

Taurus Model PT-38S Large Frame Pistol 1038049, 38 Super Auto, 4 1/4", Checkered Rubber Grip, Stainless Finish, 10 Rd, Fixed Sights

If i could get some advice on which one would suit me best that would be Great.

To be honest though my first choice was the PT-38S but the Ammo is a little more costly, and my second is the Rossi R97206 but i worry i might hear a complaint of carrying that at work because I'm a Security Guard.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does your employer not give you guidelines of what type of handgun you may carry? I only ask because years ago a good friend of mine worked for Loomis Fargo and they required the use of a revolver or a DAO pistol.

I'm not going to start a Taurus bashing rant in your thread, but to be very honest, I wouldn't trust my life to a Taurus. Any Taurus. You plan to use this gun in a security setting where you genuinely may be called upon to use it to save your own life or the life of another. Save up another $100 and get a quality, reliable handgun.

What is the pricetag on the PT38S at your LGS? I'm willing to bet that for $100 more you could have a Ruger SR9 or 40, or maybe even a Smith & Wesson M&P9 or 40. I paid less than $500 for my M&P40c, my Ruger GP100 .357 revolver, my Para GI Expert 1911 in .45acp, and my CZ75B 9mm. I would comfortably carry any of these in a duty setting. I urge you to pass up the Taurus pistols and spend a few more bucks for something better to stake your life on.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. Usually new members stop by the Introductions section so the current members can get to know them a bit.

Second, I would recommend sticking with more common ammo as in staying away from the specialty stuff for your first handgun. Most common are but not limited to: .38 special, .357 mag, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp.

Third, if those are your only choices, I might look into used in good condition for other makes and models. Taurus and Rossi have had some issues, but I am by no means an expert on either. A friend of mine has the 24/7 Pro LS in .40 S&W and it has been very reliable for him. It is a fine gun imo, but the trigger needs some getting used to. Practice will take care of that.

Fourth, if you are going to carry for your job then you might want to limit your choices to semi-autos as they carry more rounds and easier to reload if you keep extra mags with you.

Again, these are just my opinions.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

I read some reviews and soon realized not only from this site i might not want a Taurus but i went out and i looked at some reviews of the R97206 and it has some good reviews i only found one bad one and looks like it was just a Broken/Damaged gun.

Asked my boss about the Revolver, he said it was fine, there is no set List of Guns as long as it is a legal handgun, i was more worried of the Client being paranoid about it heh. Also I'm in California so can only have a 10 round clip and semi's can jam and the cleaning is more difficult, my Marine friend said even though a semi auto would be better if i ever come to a point where i need to use it at work for a beginner like me i might wanna go with the revolver anyway.

Also the PT38S was $415 and the R97206 was $390 but there is still tax and all that, but the more i look at the picture and the way the gun felt I'm thinking i might just get the R97206.

Unless of course someone changes my mind I'm at work now so I'm not gonna be making a final Decision till Monday. (just to explain a little right now we are unarmed security at the moment but we have a armed position coming up and the boss is gonna put me as part of the crew for it, just off the fact I'm one of his good guards or so he likes to say.)

Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wolf, I'd look pretty hard at a 4" barreled .357 revolver. The 6" barrel will be harder to draw from a holster cleanly in a hurry.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

^^I second Russ' suggestion.

What's a good used GP100 or S&W Model 19 go for these days?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Well I'll go take a look for one at a decent price just i got big o' monster hands that a medium frame is just barely big enough for.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Here's an Update.

Well i found out the Rossi R972 just became Illegal to buy in California i think at the end of March, went out with my grandpa and he took me to his favorite Gun shop and just so Happened they had a sell on the Ruger GP-100 so i put a down payment on it and so yeah, now i wait.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

You will be very happy with your decision. A GP100 is as good a revolver as any made - and leaps & bounds better than a Taurus or Rossi...

Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #10

Well, I'm very glad (for your sake) that you went with a GP100 instead of any off your other choices. It is a excellent ultra reliable handgun that will last you long enough that when your children are grown that they'll be able to enjoy it if they want. Now comes the fun part;

practice shooting it, then,

practice shooting it some more, then,

practice shooting it even more , then........well I think you get the idea