My First Gun - Please advise - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My First Gun - Please advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

check out the used gun section if you are thinking revolver. if money is a factor i would think you could get a new taurus or try looking for an old ruger security 6. i have owned my 3 smiths for over 25 yrs but i also know first hand how good the rugers are. on the old security 6's all i did was change grips and the back sight blade and then they felt and functioned very similar to a model 19 smith. as for the titanium taurus. it is way better suited to +p 38's unless you have done a fair amount of handgunning. that is by far the most violent 357 i have ever fired. if you practice with 38 and carry with 357 you might be ok but you will not be as fast for a second shot.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr5912 View Post
a quality 357 revolver is probably the most versatile handgun you can own. i have taken truck loads of small game with 38's out of 357's and with magnums it is great for self defense and probably adequate for close range deer. they are also accurate, reliable, and very uncomplicated making them easy to teach new shooters how to shoot. just my 2 cents but i think that nowadays to many people overlook revolvers. they should still work just fine for any situation short of a full combat role.
As far as what is legal for CC in TX, I cannot help you.

I purchased a .357 Mag. Rossi Rev. for my wife. She handles it without
any issues.

I have a Colt 1911 in .45 ACP for myself.

You mentioned you are a vet, what was your side arm? Baretta 9mm or 1911,
I am "old" we had 1911's back then but then again I was Navy and we still
had the M-14's on board.

I personally do not like the 9mm round, in my opinion (not looking to start a 9
mm debate), not enough stopping power. But then again I am a long gun
type and have several big magnum rifles, I like them and recoil is not an issue
for me as I am 6'2" and 270 pounds. I have several friends with .454 Casull
and .500 S&W revolvers I shoot one handed.

You want cheap ammo, get into reloading. .357 Mag and .45 ACP and be reloaded easily and very cheaply.

I got into reloading for my .300 H&H Magnum, my basic equipment was paid off after the first 300 rounds where reloaded.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #33

My sidearm used to be M16 A4 Short Version .

Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #34

After some more digging i found the baretta seems to provide one year of warranty while Springfield is a life time . is that correct ?

Also after a visit in a gun show today i was very impressed with the Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm .
I understand it shoot the same as the XD9 and only the grip is different .
It seems bigger but if i will buy the longer magazine for the xd9 sub compaq it will be the same length .

In addition i found there are not as many aftermarket accessories for the Baretta as there are for the XDM/XD9 .

any thoughts ?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #35

Default outstanding service

danzaka: Sir, many of the firearm companys have extended warrantys, some advertise "no" warranty. {Ruger for 1} Don't let this be the deterrent. These companys ?for? the most part will take care of 'firearm' related issues without question. These units; you speak of; are outstanding, and will give you a lifetime of service.
Can you ''wear'' them out yes; can you shoot 10,000 rounds; yes; at which time 'you' ?may? need to change out a spring or two.

Springfield Armory

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!