Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My First Gun - Please advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default conclusion

Tried the :

Baretta storm
Springfiled XD9
Glock 19
sw mp

----------------

The sw mp feels very heavy with massive recoil .
The handle is very uncomfortable

Glock 19 was the one i had the most problem with .
I guess i wasnt stable with my hand so i got many shells got stuck and wasnt ejected property .
three times the magazine dropped on me since my finger pressed on the button while shooting ... so no for this one

Baretta storm ( compaaq )

Very comfortable , like the feel of the gun , had fun shooting it . no problem whatsoever . this will be one of my option to buy

Sprinfiled xd9 ( compaq ) . with the shorter magazine it wasn't comfortable , but with the full magazine it was awesome . so this is my second option .

The funny story is that i have tried the revolver per your recommendation and had a blast . amazing gun !! gun such a good clusters with it i was amazed . It was the most fun shooting the revolver for sure , but i noticed they all go with 0.38 or 0.4 so i will make one of those my second gun for sure but defenitaly not the first .

Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The xd subcompacts are uncomfortable to shoot, that's why I opt for the longer grip or the grip extensions that can be put on your shorter mags yourself in about 1 minute.

I just emptied my pockets after getting home from church.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #23

Default First Gun

I agree about the XD Sub Compact being hard to shoot with the regular magazines, but with the extended mags it becomes a very fine pistol. Mine is the .40 Cal and I love shooting it. I also have a Beretta PX4 Storm .9mm, 4" and it's great. It's accurate, also fun to shoot and I've had no problems at all with it. However, I let a friend shoot it not long ago and he had trouble with FTF's as well as FTE's. He had never shot a handgun before and he loaded the magazines he had trouble with. I fired it immediately after he'd had the problems and it was perfect. I took it to the range later and put 200 rounds through it in rapid fashion and again, it was perfect. No clue why he had problems, but they've not recurred. I recently purchased an FNH USA FNP .9mm and I'm very, very impressed. It's lightweight, accurate and so far, it's been perfect. MSRP is over $700, but I got mine on sale at under $450 and I'm incredibly pleased. Along with the others, it would make a great first handgun.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not a fan of the XD, here's a quote from the Handgun Podcast

"....If the XD is an improvement of the Glock, why isn't it being adopted by a single respected law enforcement agency of any size? it hasn't won a single contract and yet the S&W M&P has..."

That raises a good question, it's been years since the XD was first produced (and even before that, it was called the HS2000), why hasn't been adopted by more Agencies?....

My opinion. It's basically a Glock. Nothing new, no improvement besides the 1911 style safety. Why would LE agencies replace the Glock with a gun that's almost identical?....Seems pointless....

Old 10-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In a couple of weeks the gun show will be in Indy... Just saying that if you check out some guns in local stores and then scout out the gun show for a cheaper price.

The gun show should be in town on Oct. 22, 23 and 24 at the State Fair Grounds. It is a HUGE event with all sorts of tables and sellers. It crams itself into like 4 large buildings. I would think that you could get a decent handgun in whatever caliber you want for a pretty reasonable price. Hint: Generally the sale prices pop up on Sunday which is something to consider.

If finances are really tight, I would consider something like a Bersa .380 say a Thunderer. If you can work it out, I would consider getting a used Glock in either 9 mm or .45 caliber. Gock is a reliable handgun that has about a 70% share of the police market. Sometimes, you can find sellers who have used service revolvers for sale too. I would try for a decent .357 magnum revolver with a 4 inch barrel probably a Ruger or a Smith and Wesson. If you aren't opposed to them, a decent revolver in practiced hands can be a thing of beauty and precision fire.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon 173 View Post
I would consider getting a used Glock in either 9 mm or .45 caliber. Gock is a reliable handgun that has about a 70% share of the police market.
Read
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzaka View Post
Tried the :
Glock 19 was the one i had the most problem with .
I guess i wasnt stable with my hand so i got many shells got stuck and wasnt ejected property .
three times the magazine dropped on me since my finger pressed on the button while shooting ... so no for this one

Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Seems like the Glock wasn't working too well due to User Error.

Oh well, each to his own I suppose.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
No chance for a revolver?

I think you will get your money's worth from the range trip.
a quality 357 revolver is probably the most versatile handgun you can own. i have taken truck loads of small game with 38's out of 357's and with magnums it is great for self defense and probably adequate for close range deer. they are also accurate, reliable, and very uncomplicated making them easy to teach new shooters how to shoot. just my 2 cents but i think that nowadays to many people overlook revolvers. they should still work just fine for any situation short of a full combat role.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 245

[QUOTE=danzaka;361819]Tried the :
Baretta storm
Springfiled XD9
Glock 19
sw mp

Sprinfiled xd9 ( compaq ) . with the shorter magazine it wasn't comfortable , but with the full magazine it was awesome . so this is my second option .
QUOTE]

The XD sub compacts are great shooters. While the short Mags feel a bit awkward, the easy fix is a Pearce grip extender (check Midway USA) the best $6 you will will likely spend on a gun. Bonus: They increase capacity as well. (2rds for the 9mm IIRC, not 100% sure, mine's a .40).

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 10-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr5912 View Post
a quality 357 revolver is probably the most versatile handgun you can own. i have taken truck loads of small game with 38's out of 357's and with magnums it is great for self defense and probably adequate for close range deer. they are also accurate, reliable, and very uncomplicated making them easy to teach new shooters how to shoot. just my 2 cents but i think that nowadays to many people overlook revolvers. they should still work just fine for any situation short of a full combat role.
Btw , the revolver i tried was
: S&W 668 SSR 357 Mag

It felt very good . but i was told its around 700-800$