My First Gun - Please advise
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My First Gun - Please advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My First Gun - Please advise

Hi all .

I am looking for a new gun .

My gun experience is limited though i do have experience with rifles , mostly AR15 from the military service .

anyway here is what i am looking for :

1. Cheap ammo , i would like to go target practice and wont spend to much on ammo like i do on my 5.56 NATO .

2. Legal as concealed gun in TX .

3. Stopping power , this gun will be for home defense as well as for practice .

4. price , i would like to stay below 600$

5. Light/Laser , this is optional but i would like a gun where i can add flashlight /laser later like you can do with the Sig`s

Any suggestions on what to go with ?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Well, given your criteria it has to be a 9mm as it's the cheapest ammo that works for self-defense. As for the gun, find a range that rents them and find out what fits you.

On a local GA forum, folks are asking tons of questions about the S&W Sigma as Academy has them on sale and S&W has a rebate. We have Sigma fans here but I also see these as about the most common handguns listed for sale by owner. They are reliable - but they really have terrible triggers.

The two most common in your situation are Glocks & XDs - both will be fine it just depends on what fits you best...

Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am very happy with my Ruger SR9c, and it costed me $496 out the door. I can find ammo for 9.97 for a 50 round box. It shoots great. I also shot the XD in 9mm and the S&W Sigma 9mm, and like mine the best out of them. Best thing to do is to shoot as many as you can.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I had some nice luck with a CZ-75b i picked up lightly used for $400. It runs great and shoots straight; there was a bit of discoloration on one bit of the slide, probably from laying on a damp surface. I don't think anybody who got shot by it would know it was used. If you have some gun-savvy buddies, ask one to go with you to some pawn shops and maybe a gunshow to look for something lightly used. Used = more ammo $ available.

Of course, for $600, you could get an new XD or XDm in 9mm; i have an XD45 that i really enjoy shooting (.45 ammo ain't cheap though). I also picked up a new Ruger GP-100 for about $400 not too long ago, might've been $425; if you consider a revolver an option, you should take a look at the GP-100. Mine has a 6" barrel, so it would be harder to conceal, but they are available with 4" and smaller barrels. The gun will use .357 magnum or .38 special ammo, so you can have the pricier magnums for defense and the less expensive .38's for practice. The revolver seems a bit simpler to use to me, if that is something you might want.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Here's your typical factory range ammo cost:

.223- $0.40/rd (for comparison sake)
9mm- 0.20/rd
40sw- 0.28/rd
45acp- 0.35/rd

At your price point and wanting an all-around defense pistol with potential for carry, your best option will probably be a compact (not sub compact) polymer pistol.

Almost all of the options in this category fit your needs. They can be found in all calibers, most have rails, almost all of them are high quality weapons, and the vast majority can easily be found in the $450-600 price range. If you like the fit, polymer offerings from Glock, Springfield, S&W, FN, CZ, Sig, Walther, Beretta, or Ruger are unlikely to let you down.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Buy the one in your price range that fits you best.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try them all, and then buy the XD9.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #8

Default My First Gun

I just yesterday picked up a new Beretta P x 4 Storm 9mm for $589 at Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth. Don't know where you are, but they sell guns online. It just has to be sent to a licensed dealer and picked up there. This is my sixth handgun, but my first one outside the Springfield Armory family, so I'm obviously a big fan of Springfield. But I'm very anxious to get the Beretta to the range. It feels great, has a lot of features I like and a magazine capacity of 17.

I did a lot of research both online and in the gun magazines before I went out searching for my first handgun. I was also able to shoot several different guns before I bought too. The Springfield XD 9mm Tactical was the last gun I shot before purchasing my first one. I was so impressed with the Springfield, I went to the gunstore and bought one immediately after leaving the range. Haven't looked back since. Until I strayed yesterday and picked up the Beretta.

But the best advice has been given. Handle, shoot and research as many guns as you can before you make the final decision. That way you'll be sure to find the right one for you. Good luck with the search.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2970 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzaka View Post
1. Cheap ammo , i would like to go target practice and wont spend to much on ammo like i do on my 5.56 NATO .

2. Legal as concealed gun in TX .

3. Stopping power , this gun will be for home defense as well as for practice .

4. price , i would like to stay below 600$

5. Light/Laser , this is optional but i would like a gun where i can add flashlight /laser later like you can do with the Sig`s
1. Cheap ammo could be the 9mm.
2. What is legal in TX? Are there restraints ala Kalifornicate?
3. Stopping power. In my opinion, I would want enough to stop a 100# vicious dog as a minimum. It would probably be kind of effective against a 200# person.
4. Price: check on-line auctions. That is a good start for the models that may be legal in TX.
5. Check for "rails" on your planned purchase.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
try them all, and then buy the xd9. :d
+1 :d :d