Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My first firearm...what should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

O and DamnYankee if by "single family home" you mean you live in a house rather than an apartment may I suggest getting the one single thing that goes farther toward keeping you family safer than anything else you can have and it usually loves you and the kids as much as you love it and will shower you with love every day .

That wonderful little item is

Meet Missy she is now 1 1/2 years old and about 70 lbs and a true bundle of joy , energy and love and will be more than glad to let you know if there is a noise that shouldn't be out side you home at 3am and as a rule the breed will love their family to the point of sacraficing their life to protect them .
She beats shotguns handguns and ADT hands down !!

Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Yup..A 12 gauge is a great HD weapon. There's several out there that will fit your needs very well. Look for something that's set up for home defense. You usually get more capacity and a shorter barrel.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #13

I have a mossberg maverick 88 .20 gauge. I use it more to shoot skeet but I have five in the tube none in the chamber. I have taken the fiance shooting so she knows how to operate the weapon and is willing to use it to defend her/mine our dogs life with it. We don't have kids so that's not a big deal.

Our dogs are long hair whippets. Loving dogs but will bark and alarm us if anything is going on while we are sleeping. The only issue is they will bark and run to the bg and lick him to death.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1 for MISSY!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
With your situation a shotgun is the worst choice of a weapon you could make....
I agree.

Unlike the majority here, I think the shotgun is a rather poor home defense weapon.

Here's why:

It's not a weapon that you will have on you all the time.
It's not a weapon that you will likely have quick access to while sitting around the dinner table or when watching TV in the living room or when using the bathroom.
A long weapon is much more difficult to wield when moving from room to room and checking doors, windows, closets, etc....especially when possibly also managing children.
Ammo is bulky and carrying extra ammo can be difficult.

A handgun is a much better home defense weapon IMO.
It's the weapon that you can have on your side at all times....whether you're using the bathroom, walking the dog, sitting on the front porch swing with your wife, lounging by the pool, or just checking the mailbox.
You can answer your front door while discretely holding a handgun behind the door, and the visitor will never even know that you're armed.
And you can take it with you when you're out of town and staying in a hotel or motel (your home away from home could need defending too).
And with the handgun on your side, you will know that your children can't fool around with it.

The bottom line is that if someone kicks in your door and rushes in, you're simply will not have time to run in to another room and get the shotgun.
So forget a rifle or shotgun as your primary home defense weapon.

Now, what handgun to get....

Revolvers have a few advantages over autoloaders:
Overall, they are less likely to have a "jam" or a failure to fire.
They can be loaded and then forgotten about for decades but will still work just fine when needed.
They are very easy to load and unload.
If you like revolvers, but are on a tight budget, then I recommend you check out Ruger.
Specifically, a 3" or 4.2" Ruger GP100 or a 3" Ruger SP101, both in .357 magnum.

On the other hand, autoloaders have a few advantages over revolvers:
They typically have a greater number of rounds that can be fired before reloading.
With a second full magazine they are very quick to reload, even for a novice.
The trigger pull of most autos is much lighter than the heavy double-action trigger pull of a revolver....which equals much better accuracy for most novices just learning to shoot.

But beware...autos are much more likely to "jam" than a revolver.
If you carry one you must practice clearing a failure-to-feed and a failure-to-eject and a failure-to-cycle.

If you like autos, and you're on a tight budget, then I recommend that you check out CZ pistols and the Springfield XD pistols.
Specifically the 9mm CZ P-01 or the 9mm CZ 75D PCR Compact, or the Springfield Armory 9mm XD9 or the 9mm XD9compact.

No matter what you choose, teach your wife to shoot even if she doesn't want to.
You could somehow become incapacitated and then the defense of you and your family would be in her hands alone.
And when you're not carrying the weapon on your side, keep it LOCKED up.

Good luck and safe shooting.

Last edited by luckyg; 06-19-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I think before you bring a weapon into your home you need to go to a range and learn about them, practice with them and become somewhat more knowledgeble. The shotgun suggestion is great as is the revolver but whatever you decide, KNOW how to use it and keep it away from your children.
Since you live so close to me, can you recommend a range to visit?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyg View Post
I agree.

Unlike the majority here, I think the shotgun is a rather poor home defense weapon.

Here's why:

It's not a weapon that you will have on you all the time.
It's not a weapon that you will likely have quick access to while sitting around the dinner table or when watching TV in the living room or when using the bathroom.
A long weapon is much more difficult to wield when moving from room to room and checking doors, windows, closets, etc....especially when possibly also managing children.
Ammo is bulky and carrying extra ammo can be difficult.

A handgun is a much better home defense weapon IMO.
It's the weapon that you can have on your side at all times....whether you're using the bathroom, walking the dog, sitting on the front porch swing with your wife, lounging by the pool, or just checking the mailbox.
You can answer your front door while discretely holding a handgun behind the door, and the visitor will never even know that you're armed.
And you can take it with you when you're out of town and staying in a hotel or motel (your home away from home could need defending too).
And with the handgun on your side, you will know that your children can't fool around with it.

The bottom line is that if someone kicks in your door and rushes in, you're simply will not have time to run in to another room and get the shotgun.
So forget a rifle or shotgun as your primary home defense weapon.

Now, what handgun to get....

Revolvers have a few advantages over autoloaders:
Overall, they are less likely to have a "jam" or a failure to fire.
They can be loaded and then forgotten about for decades but will still work just fine when needed.
They are very easy to load and unload.
If you like revolvers, but are on a tight budget, then I recommend you check out Ruger.
Specifically, a 3" or 4.2" Ruger GP100 or a 3" Ruger SP101, both in .357 magnum.

On the other hand, autoloaders have a few advantages over revolvers:
They typically have a greater number of rounds that can be fired before reloading.
With a second full magazine they are very quick to reload, even for a novice.
The trigger pull of most autos is much lighter than the heavy double-action trigger pull of a revolver....which equals much better accuracy for most novices just learning to shoot.

But beware...autos are much more likely to "jam" than a revolver.
If you carry one you must practice clearing a failure-to-feed and a failure-to-eject and a failure-to-cycle.

If you like autos, and you're on a tight budget, then I recommend that you check out CZ pistols and the Springfield XD pistols.
Specifically the 9mm CZ P-01 or the 9mm CZ 75D PCR Compact, or the Springfield Armory 9mm XD9 or the 9mm XD9compact.

No matter what you choose, teach your wife to shoot even if she doesn't want to.
You could somehow become incapacitated and then the defense of you and your family would be in her hands alone.
And when you're not carrying the weapon on your side, keep it LOCKED up.

Good luck and safe shooting.
The Springfield XD is just what I was looking at. Very reasonably priced and reliable, from what I've been reading. I will look into the CZ an Rugers too. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
O and DamnYankee if by "single family home" you mean you live in a house rather than an apartment may I suggest getting the one single thing that goes farther toward keeping you family safer than anything else you can have and it usually loves you and the kids as much as you love it and will shower you with love every day .

That wonderful little item is

Meet Missy she is now 1 1/2 years old and about 70 lbs and a true bundle of joy , energy and love and will be more than glad to let you know if there is a noise that shouldn't be out side you home at 3am and as a rule the breed will love their family to the point of sacraficing their life to protect them .
She beats shotguns handguns and ADT hands down !!
Missy is beautiful. We already have two dogs. Both are small breed mutts but they will bark at any noise at night and any knock on the door.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Desert Eagle .50. Nothing says stay away bad guy like a DE.
Yes, but a round being racked into the chamber by a pump action shotgun is the true and universal sign of GET THE F OUT...

Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #20

I hear what you are saying about home defense, but as your first gun (especially since you have two dogs) I suggest a .22lr. NO, it is not much of a home defense weapon. It IS a good platform to learn shooting and safe gun handling from.

While your wife is not too happy about a gun in the house, she may be won over by a .22. If you can get her shooting, then you can go to larger calibers that - are - appropriate for home defense. She may even suggest it.

P.S. Be VERY careful about getting a 1911. They tend to multiply.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!