my first duracoat job - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > my first duracoat job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

I love the contrast... the flat dark earth is a little lighter than I would expect but the pistol looks nice. I think it would have looked awesome to do the controls in black to match the slide... just my two cents...

Old 04-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator
I love the contrast... the flat dark earth is a little lighter than I would expect but the pistol looks nice. I think it would have looked awesome to do the controls in black to match the slide... just my two cents...
I would have but just kinda got lazy and didn't want to tear everything down. The fnx is a m effer to fully disassemble

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What is the cure time if you bake the duracoat? Also, whats the recommendation for bake temperature?

I planned on doing one of my pistols in an automotive paint booth at my job. Our bake cycle runs 60 mins at 178 degrees.

BTW.. you a nice job on that. I like the tan

Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
What is the cure time if you bake the duracoat? Also, whats the recommendation for bake temperature?

I planned on doing one of my pistols in an automotive paint booth at my job. Our bake cycle runs 60 mins at 178 degrees.

BTW.. you a nice job on that. I like the tan
That I'm not for sure. I've always just let it air cure

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3442 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1496

The directions on the can has information on prep and curing.

I did a dura coat on a frame once. The wife liked the color (brushed stainless). She twisted my arm to do the cabinet pulls in the kitchen.
It's been over 6 years now, and none have flaked, chipped, discolored, etc...
They still look like I did when I painted them. Some pulls are not used much, other pulls are used constantly to get plates and cups.

As with any other paint job, prep and follow directions on the can. Multiple light coats are better than one heavy coat.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
The directions on the can has information on prep and curing.

I did a dura coat on a frame once. The wife liked the color (brushed stainless). She twisted my arm to do the cabinet pulls in the kitchen.
It's been over 6 years now, and none have flaked, chipped, discolored, etc...
They still look like I did when I painted them. Some pulls are not used much, other pulls are used constantly to get plates and cups.

As with any other paint job, prep and follow directions on the can. Multiple light coats are better than one heavy coat.
+1. It is all in the preparation. I do 2-3 several light coats on any project. Duracoat lasts forever as long as you let it aircure

~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #27

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

Frantz... if you ever decide to sell the FNX keep me in mind sir... Nice looking piece...

Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator
Frantz... if you ever decide to sell the FNX keep me in mind sir... Nice looking piece...
Will do bud thanks

~John F. Kennedy