My EDC weapon choices - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

My EDC weapon choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I believe firmly in being prepared for as much as I can. I plan on practicing with the weapon daily until I am confident I can hit my mark, then I plan on practicing 3 times a week to hone my shooting skills, and over several months reduce it down to once a week. That does not include the times I go shooting just for fun. I want to never need more than 2-3 rounds on a BG, but “No plan survives contact with the enemy”. I believe in having a thing and not needing it than to need a thing and not have it. Thus I would prefer a decent round count. It is not to compensate for bad aim, as round placement is of utmost importance.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

One comment regarding semi auto reload carrying. You never know when a magazine may go south. That is Murphy's Law to the max there, bad time for a mechanical failure. Or a stove pipe occurs (level 3 failure) you have to drop the magazine to clear the chamber and jamb. Time is if the essence at this point. Spare mag in off hand problem solved.

Just sayin!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #23

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by losack View Post
One comment regarding semi auto reload carrying. You never know when a magazine may go south. That is Murphy's Law to the max there, bad time for a mechanical failure. Or a stove pipe occurs (level 3 failure) you have to drop the magazine to clear the chamber and jamb. Time is if the essence at this point. Spare mag in off hand problem solved.

Just sayin!
Google "auto loader-clearing a jam" and watch the videos.

Very simply, slap the base of the mag hard.(once)

Rack the slide. Jam cleared. I'd certainly try this before

going into "level 3 failure/mode alpha" in a SD

scenario.

Also helps if you clean your mags @ every 8 times you clean

your barrel. Google "mag dis-assembly".

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - How true.

I hope my heightened awareness since I became a CCW

helps me to avoid ever "making" that contact.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-10-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #24

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17
Trip, although I do agree with you, I can name a few cases where the bg pressed the attack. I did/would carry a reload because its prudent to always be ready.
I won't dispute that, I've heard of it too, just not often enough for me to consider it a likelihood, especially not in/around the areas I personally frequent. If someone, or the OP, lives in someplace like the rough areas of Detroit, I'd probably recommend an AR or AK with a full combat load.

Just as was mentioned about Florida, I'm personally more likely to encounter a critter that needs a dose of lead poisoning. The only time I've had to USE my carry as a civilian was to pop a rabid raccoon.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My point is if you train to expect the unexpected you won't be surprised!

Believe me these type of jams occur and a tap and rack will not cut it. An extra magazine is cheap insurance that may save your life or a loves ones.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 342 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 161

A guy from FL once said, you may not have time to go home and get you combat 45/shotgun/AR w extra mags, you may have to fight w whatever you have on you. ( I never forgot that comment)

A spare mag or HKS speedloader can mean anywhere from an additional 5 to 19 rds. Practice reloading until you can do it w/o looking and don't forget one handed. (AAR - 1986)

I am rather eclectic, Home Defense - I prefer the simplicity of 357 revolvers w those HPs just staring at the BG, they can stay loaded almost indefinitely and if one rd is bad just keep pulling the trigger for a fresh rd.

For carry, I like autos for a slimmer fit, capacity, ease of reloading etc. I rotate mags every 30 days or so.

Murphy's Law does not discriminate - I don't want to jack this thread up but an idiot proof weapon is an urban myth. . Army's been trying for decades...

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-10-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #27

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post

Murphy's Law does not discriminate - I don't want to jack this thread up but an idiot proof weapon is an urban myth. . Army's been trying for decades...
To be fair, the army's 1911A1 and M9 are as close to idiot-proof as you

can get, IMO. (Hell, I'm an idiot, and I use them...)

Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #28

I've decided to go with an SR9c. For one thing every gun on my canadites list are good weapons, every review and opinion I can find says so. With that being said every single review I can find says that they just completely love the SR9c, some complain about the thumb safety though. I feel that with practice with the weapon the thumb safety won't be a problem. It also won 2010 handgun of the year, which is a minor plus it its column. I love the way it feels in my hand and is compact enough to concealed carry so I'm getting one.

Thanks all for the input and advice.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Very good choice, congrats.