My EDC weapon choices - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > My EDC weapon choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It will be my first carry weapon. I owned a cheap firearm like 10 years ago, and this is my first quality firearm. The other firearm was a birthday gift which I played with occasionally.

I'm hoping for a double stack simply due to round count. I would prefer to have a minimum of 10+1. I hope to practice enough to never need that many rounds. I like to have extra in case of multiple agressers. I have had several of these in my hands and liked their feel. I unfortunately have not had the chance to fire any of them.

If I could find anyplace that had the weapons I would go see, and possible fire them, but for some reason the gun culture here is almost nonexistent. The nearest "gun store" is a pawn shop. If I had to guess I would say that not many people here qualify to own a firearm...If you know what I mean.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I hear you and where are you?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #13

Mississippi Gulf Coast

Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #14

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Capacity is NOT necessarily the way to go. I've carried a revolver for years and never felt under gunned. I've only recently gone to a semi (springfield 1911 milspec) for exactly one more round. (I don't do the +1, it just don't feel right to me). Ask yourself this, as I did when choosing my first carry gun on a budget... How often do you hear of multiple thugs continuing an attack once an armed citizen brings a gun into play? Rarely if ever is the answer. Most criminals don't want a fight, they want an easy target. Once you play your ace, 9 times out of 10 they're going to fold their hand and get away from the poker table most Ricky tick.

That being said, higher capacity is NOT a bad thing, if that's what you want. I just don't feel the need for it myself.

By the way, I didn't bother with a reload for my revolver. The only reason I carry a reload now is because a single stack .45 1911 mag is just too convenient to say no to.

I've had to shoot people, in combat overseas. Yes, I had to reload under fire. The difference is, those people weren't your average criminal. They were IN it for the fight, not for a wallet carrying maybe 35 bucks.

Last edited by trip286; 04-08-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #15

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Capacity is NOT necessarily the way to go. I've carried a revolver for years and never felt under gunned. I've only recently gone to a semi (springfield 1911 milspec) for exactly one more round. (I don't do the +1, it just don't feel right to me). Ask yourself this, as I did when choosing my first carry gun on a budget... How often do you hear of multiple thugs continuing an attack once an armed citizen brings a gun into play? Rarely if ever is the answer. Most criminals don't want a fight, they want an easy target. Once you play your ace, 9 times out of 10 they're going to fold their hand and get away from the poker table most Ricky tick.

That being said, higher capacity is NOT a bad thing, if that's what you want. I just don't feel the need for it myself.

By the way, I didn't bother with a reload for my revolver. The only reason I carry a reload now is because a single stack .45 1911 mag is just too convenient to say no to.

I've had to shoot people, in combat overseas. Yes, I had to reload under fire. The difference is, those people weren't your average criminal. They were IN it for the fight, not for a wallet carrying maybe 35 bucks.
Your exactly right, if a person is choosing high capacity to compensate for bad aim,that is worse than having a 6 shot handgun. If you cant make accurate shot placement then it doesnt really matter what you carry. I carry my 1911 8+1 most of the time and my G31 15+1 some of the time. Ive never felt outgunned either way.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
DX1

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with the capacity comments and personally have migrated to smaller, lighter weapons that are easier to carry and conceal. So For EDC, I use either a 9mm Walther PPS or Ruger .38 LCR, both in Remora holsters that I can easily slip on. I got the LCR originally to load snakeshot here in Florida, but I found it was so easy to stick into a pocket I now carry it most frequently with regular HP rounds if snakes aren't likely to be a factor.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

My wife and I have Ruger SR9c's. Excellent pistol. Accurate, reliable, easy to get on target and keep there. Thumb safety. It gets hot here and we are already in shorts. I pocket carry a Sig P238 often.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Of course everyone has their own opinions, so here is mine. I am in love with my Ruger SR40c. The quality is superb and as you get to know the gun, you realize the design is very well thought out! For a .40 cal the recoil is no problem and it is darn near the same size of the 9. I carry a IWB holster most often and even with a t shirt it's no problem. In any case, there are some great pistols out there....this is what I prefer.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #19

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Trip, although I do agree with you, I can name a few cases where the bg pressed the attack. I did/would carry a reload because its prudent to always be ready.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Last edited by pagj17; 04-09-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #20

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I have to respectfully disagree on many points of the discussion here.

I live in Florida.

FLO-RI-DA. As in, if you step out of your car, outside of town,

you're re-entering the food chain. Hell, people here IN town

regularly encounter gators under their cars. There's Wild Boar,

snakes, gators, coyotes, and that's before you even enter

any area where you're likely to encounter BGs.

So I use a full-sized EDC, spare mags, with an SKS ready to rock and roll

under the back seat. I believe the Bible refers to it as

"the quick and the dead"...