Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > my day at the shooting range (purchase included)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default my day at the shooting range (purchase included)

as you know I've been looking for a concealed carry gun. ive been debating between a compact and a subcompact so i went down to the range and rented several guns to make my pick.

i love my glock 34 but i was a bit apprehensive about carrying a glock just cause it doesn't have a manual safety so i decided to check out a bunch of other guns too to see if I get over my glock obsession... I couldn't.

So I rented a a glock 19, glock 19c, glock 26, springfield xd-9 compact springfield xd-9 sub compact and a smith and wesson m&p 9mm compact.

My thoughts before shooting today were that I wanted something very small that was easy to carry but i also wanted something I could shoot so I was kind of thinking I would probably get the compact because whats the point of carrying something if you cant shoot it? I figured I would just have to get some bigger clothes or something.

I was dead wrong! I could shoot the 19 a little bit better than the 26 but not much. I was putting bullets through basically the same holes with both sizes of guns and had nice tight groups. If I was shooting for money or in a contest id rather have a compact of course but shooting at human sized targets at relatively close ranges I'm fine with either.

Bottom line is...I bought the Glock 26 and I dont regret it one bit! Im actually more sure about this purchase than I was about the 34 when I bought it.

Here are my thoughts on the guns i tested.
1. 19 and 19c: both felt good but were a little big for what I wanted. There was a small difference between the 19 and 19c but not a whole lot. plus the 19c was quite a bit louder which I think makes up for any differences in felt recoil.

2. Springfield xd-9 compact and subcompact. I know I risk starting a flame war but i am merely stating my subjective opinion...I thought both XD's were garbage. They both jammed once each (nothing else I shot today jammed). They seemed to be poorly constructed, not as tightly constructed, they were very top heavy compared to their glock equivalents. and they were both bigger than the comparable glocks. however I noticed that the xd compact only held 10 rounds despite being bigger than the glock 19. I also thought the triggers were mushy compared to the glock and the M&P triggers.

3. S&W M&P compact 9mm. Nice gun. I liked the feel of the trigger more than the xd but not as much as the glock (although maybe im just used to glock triggers). The gun felt fine in my hands and I shot it fine. I didn't like it as much as the glocks, but I still liked it. I would definitely buy an M&P before I would even think about buying an XD. If I had decided that a subcompact pistol was too small I would have spent a lot more bullets trying to decide between the two. unfortunately it didn't come to that point.

p6060187.jpg   p6060181.jpg   p6060184.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2009, 04:09 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Bottom line is...I bought the Glock 26 and I dont regret it one bit! Im actually more sure about this purchase than I was about the 34 when I bought it.
Congratulations on your new gun.

I rented the S&W MP45 today. Maybe my next.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats on your purchase, sounds like you did a fair amount of shooting to make your choice. Some people just can't shake the glock virus. I think the M&P is the cure for it but in extreame cases even it can't minimize the G virus

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #5

Congrats. Looks like you made the right choice.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Man you got jipped

Some one sold you a water gun instead of a real gun.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm glad you found one you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Man you got jipped

LOL!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Enjoy your new pistol!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Man you got jipped

What Tango means is, "Congratulations on the new gun, even if it is a Glock!"

If the Glock fits you best, it was the right choice. Enjoy.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

You got Tiny hands, are you afraid to eat at Burger King?