Msrp - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Msrp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 167 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I wish I would have read this before I got RIPPED OFF!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #22

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh737
I knew that was coming. More taxes. Just what we need to jump start the economy. As far as where I am. Huntsville, Al. I have several to choose from, I just am new to the gun world and am trying to do some homework before going in. My wife and I are looking at Ruger LC9/SR9. From what I have seen/read, you can't go wrong with a Ruger. Or am I wrong?
I'm in Huntsville also. Go to Larry's, buy a couple boxes of ammo and you and your wife rent a couple different guns and purchase what feels best and you guys are the most comfortable with. Hint: go during the week in the morning. Get there before 11 and it will be easy for you to get in and look around before they get too busy.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #23

I was in Larrys once. They were WAY too busy for me. I am going to try to make it back there one morning this week. Thanks for the input!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

For most guns, MSRP is a starting point set by the manufacturers, not unlike the window sticker on a new car. The good thing is that you are not haggling to get the best deal on every gun you purchase, unlike a car. Still, there are a few manufacturers, primarily the small ones, that do dictate retail selling prices. I have factory direct on one brand that will not allow their retailers to sell below at a price set by them, which is roughly $20 below MSRP. The gun is a good one at a fair price point to begin with, so I do not have issue with them.

So far during this feeding frenzy going on in the marketplace again, prices have not risen, unless some of my FFL bretheren have decided to take advantage of the situation on a retail level, which in some cases won't surprise me too much. I have noticed that the sale fliers that I received on a pretty regular basis from some of the distributors have mostly stopped coming. This could be due to one of three possible reasons. One, they are taking advantage of the sales increase. Two, they are having shortfalls in inventory, which I do see happening, so it is hard to offer sale prices on what might not be in stock on a wholesale level. Three, all of the above.

I was at a small local gun show over the weekend just past. I did notice that handgun prices had not been jacked up, at least by the vendors selling at this particular show. Now, for other weapons, I found the prices higher than before, primarily, on the AKs and ARs. I do know that these are getting to be in short supply wholesale. I, myself, needed an AK for a client and had trouble finding one. I finally found two IO models available at Grice Wholesale and not at an inflated price either. I was beginning to sweat losing this sale. Out of all my distributors, I never thought Southern Ohio Gun would run out of AK models.

As to finding the common price point for any particular model, it is good advice to shop around, either at places like Bud's or at a couple brick & mortar stores before you buy. You most often will find the highest retail prices at places like Gander Mountain and the lowest at your local mom & pop shop. Online sales speaking, I do know Bud's has a good rep and other places like www.hyattgunshop.com which is Hyatt's in Charlotte's online site is another one I recommend checking if you don't buy local as far as a reputable seller goes. As to places like GunBroker, Guns America, etc., bargains there are few and far between these days. They have gone the eBay route unfortunately. Gun shows are also no longer the places to go for deals, though I have seen a few reasonable deals at a couple of smaller ones I've attended locally. Whether it is coincidence or not that both were held at VFD halls, who knows, but the smaller ones seem to attract vendors that are fairer minded.

Try to resist the impulse buy and become an educated consumer and you should do ok.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #25

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Their customer service is horrible and they stay pretty busy. But, if you get there in the AM, you will not have a problem. And the range master is really nice. He likes to talk but if you chit chat with him a bit he will let you shoot everything without charging you. Especially if they are slow.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #26

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
I'm not disputing that, I was merely pointing out, to those that use debit/credit cards, to remember to factor that in.
Fortunately, my lgs also does layaway.
But if it is a significant difference? Yeah, I go Buds then.
Oh, that's nice! I don't know of one around here that does layaway. Thus far, that's how I've bought all of my guns but one.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #27

I was able to go to Larry's this morning. I was there 10 minutes before they opened and they were full already. I talked to Mark. He was real helpful. I could tell he wanted to get me out of the way so he could help someone else, BUT he did take the time to answer all of my questions and to make a few suggestions. My wife and I are going back on Monday morning for her to try some guns to see what she likes. And for what they are charging for Rugers.....WOW! Great prices.