Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Msrp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Just a heads up. Sales tax on all online purchases will be coming down the line soon.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #12

I knew that was coming. More taxes. Just what we need to jump start the economy. As far as where I am. Huntsville, Al. I have several to choose from, I just am new to the gun world and am trying to do some homework before going in. My wife and I are looking at Ruger LC9/SR9. From what I have seen/read, you can't go wrong with a Ruger. Or am I wrong?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Both are good guns.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #14

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Don't forget to factor in that, if you're ordering from Buds, the 3% credit card charge, as well as your local FFL transfer fee, and shipping and handling when comparing prices to your LGS. Sometimes ,when you add in all the additional costs, while Buds looks cheaper, it's actually better to support the local business. My wife's rifle actually, after fees, cost me less at the LGS than via ordering.
You can get the cash discount by sending in a money order or by paying online via ACH. I do it all the time at Bud's. I also like the fact that I can put guns on layaway to make sure I get them before they're out of stock but can pay over time.

Also, Bud's beats all of my LGS every time. I would love to support them, but I'm going to support my wallet first.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #15

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
You can get the cash discount by sending in a money order or by paying online via ACH. I do it all the time at Bud's. I also like the fact that I can put guns on layaway to make sure I get them before they're out of stock but can pay over time.

Also, Bud's beats all of my LGS every time. I would love to support them, but I'm going to support my wallet first.
I'm not disputing that, I was merely pointing out, to those that use debit/credit cards, to remember to factor that in.
Fortunately, my lgs also does layaway.
But if it is a significant difference? Yeah, I go Buds then.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh737 View Post
I knew that was coming. More taxes. Just what we need to jump start the economy. As far as where I am. Huntsville, Al. I have several to choose from, I just am new to the gun world and am trying to do some homework before going in. My wife and I are looking at Ruger LC9/SR9. From what I have seen/read, you can't go wrong with a Ruger. Or am I wrong?
I have had great luck w Ruger but when it comes to high cap 9 or 40 cal., there is just too much to choose from. Do you need a match grade barrel ? how about trigger ? Ruger is a great value but triggers have not been one of their virtues and after market options are slim.

Sig & HK are high quality but have prices to match. I w love to say the days of hunting for reliable mags is over but ...."It Happens"

Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #17

I don't know what a match grade barrel is. From what I have read and seen the Rugers seem to be about the best bang for the buck. But if you think I need to look elsewhere please recommend. I am open to guidance.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #18

Liked 4422 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh737 View Post
Great info. I'll use Bud's as a guide. Am I unreasonable to expect local gun shops to come fairly close to Bud's pricing?
Most FFL's in my area charge $25 to $35 for receiving and transferring Internet purchases. I think this is fair because they've got a brick and mortar store to keep open and thier not earning any markup on the gun.

On a 500 dollar gun that's about 5% which I'm happy to pay just to have an FFL to do my transfer. So I guess my rule would be that anything local within 5% of Buds is ok and I'd just buy it from the local guy since most of them don't charge a transfer fee if I'm buying from them.

Tack

Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #19

I agree. I would even pay slightly more to buy local......but only slightly.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19508 Times on 11074 Posts
Likes Given: 49130

i have a feeling that as we get closer to the November elections, prices will get much closer to the MSRP that is listed. plus as availability gets harder and harder, prices could increase also. as of right now, until after the elections, i am going to curtail most any new gun purchases and restrict myself to used firearms for myself.

personally i prefer to buy from my LGS, as he usually beats any deal i could get online and i prefer to see a firearm in person to inspect and decide whether to purchase or not. for me, buying a firearm is still a personal thing.

Last edited by Axxe55; 04-24-2012 at 04:36 AM.