Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Msrp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/msrp-63135/)

dmh737 04-23-2012 09:09 PM

Msrp

I am currently looking for a handgun. How much can I expect to pay vs. MSRP? Do retails at most stores follow MSRP or can I expect to pay less. In other markets I shop, actual selling prices are far below MSRP, sometimes as low as 40% less. I just do not want to get taken advantage of because of my lack of market knowledge in the handgun sector.

I.E. If a Ruger SR9 has a MSRP of $529, how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

canebrake 04-23-2012 09:16 PM

Any time I want to know what a gun's street price is, I check Buds.

Pretty darn close to lowest.

Bud's Gun Shop

PlaysWithZombies 04-23-2012 09:19 PM

It'll vary from area to area and dealer to dealer. Find a gun you like and look around, see what your LGSs sell it for and how that compares to online prices.

mountainman13 04-23-2012 09:20 PM

I completely disregard MSRP. It is useless info unless you are the manufacturer. Nobody at any level should ever pay MSRP for any gun.
Buds prices look to be reasonable.

dmh737 04-23-2012 10:39 PM

Great info. I'll use Bud's as a guide. Am I unreasonable to expect local gun shops to come fairly close to Bud's pricing?

mountainman13 04-23-2012 10:50 PM

You shouldn't pay more than what he has listed. As far as selling to an ffl you should probably expect to get half of those listed prices at best. Private sales are usually a better route. You also might do well on an auction.

dmh737 04-23-2012 11:15 PM

Auction? How does that work? If its online it still has to go to an ffl, correct?

mountainman13 04-23-2012 11:19 PM

It may have to be transferred through one but it doesn't have to be sold to one. Someone who wants the gun will pay what it is worth. An ffl will pay at most half of what it will sell for.

BenLuby 04-23-2012 11:29 PM

Don't forget to factor in that, if you're ordering from Buds, the 3% credit card charge, as well as your local FFL transfer fee, and shipping and handling when comparing prices to your LGS. Sometimes ,when you add in all the additional costs, while Buds looks cheaper, it's actually better to support the local business. My wife's rifle actually, after fees, cost me less at the LGS than via ordering.

kg4tyr 04-24-2012 12:52 AM

It would help if we knew where you're from. That way someone in your area could suggest where to go. Online is great but you have to watch FFL transfer fees, shipping, and some even still charge you state sales tax. I have 4 "very local" options to buy firearms.

1. A very new dealer that just didn't feel "right" when I walked through the door
2. The oldest dealer in the area that are a bunch of jerks. They honestly act like they could care if you ever walked through the door.
3. Bass Pro Shops. Probably as close to MSRP as you'll see. Sort of the equivalent of a tourist trap.
4. My favorite LGS, owned by a husband and wife and will do anything they can to help you get the best deal they can. Sometimes it may not be the cheapest, but they make up for it on service and little deals throughout the year on ammo, etc., and it's still never close to MSRP