Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Moving to Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Moving to Alaska

Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to ship my handguns to Alaska, please.

Thanks in advance for any info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

By common carrier courier? UPS, FedEx via an FFL!?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #3

Liked 1105 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwg212 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to ship my handguns to Alaska, please.

Thanks in advance for any info
If I were flying there I would check them at the airport. It is an interesting question though; can you legally ship your own firearm to yourself, across state lines?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 06-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19936 Times on 11331 Posts
Likes Given: 50257

lot depends on where you are starting from, how you intend to move and how many firearms there are to move. might be a good idea to check with a lawyer on the legalities if using a shipping method, but if you plan on driving and moving your property with you, and if i am not mistaken, Alaska is pretty tolerant on gun issues and one state that is the gun owners friend. if driving, i don't see why you couldn't pack then very nicely and secure and just take them with you. but as i said before, might check with a lawyer and have him or her steer you in the right direction.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

Liked 1105 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
lot depends on where you are starting from, how you intend to move and how many firearms there are to move. might be a good idea to check with a lawyer on the legalities if using a shipping method, but if you plan on driving and moving your property with you, and if i am not mistaken, Alaska is pretty tolerant on gun issues and one state that is the gun owners friend. if driving, i don't see why you couldn't pack then very nicely and secure and just take them with you. but as i said before, might check with a lawyer and have him or her steer you in the right direction.
My first thought was, "why not just drive them?" There may be an issue with crossing an international border with handguns. The Canadians, might not like it.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
My first thought was, "why not just drive them?" There may be an issue with crossing an international border with handguns. The Canadians, might not like it.
that is part of the reason i suggested he contact a lawyer. even though he is going to another United States territory, (Alaska) he would still have to cross through Canada which is another country and also requires a passport to go across the borders. i feel contacting a lawyer would be in his best interests to remain legal and not be in danger of his firearms being taken or being arrested for friearms violations.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Liked 1967 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
If I were flying there I would check them at the airport. It is an interesting question though; can you legally ship your own firearm to yourself, across state lines?
Yes, but you need to be there to receive it. You can leave tehm with a gunshop that you trust, and have them drop them off for you on the date you want them shipped. Handguns do have to go next day. Shipping gets expensive.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Id say flying would be the easiest solution.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 06-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

You MAY ship firearms to yourself across a state line- no transfer of ownership. Handguns may only be shipped by UPS and FedEx Next Day Air unless you are a FFL.

You can check the Canadian Customs website- here is some direction- http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

There ARE restrictions, paperwork and permits for transporting guns through Canada. Some you will not be allowed to bring through. Years ago it was simple- you declared the handgun, Canadian Customs would put it in a plastic bag, seal bag with a stamped lead seal, and give you a transit permit. Show that and unbroken seals when leaving. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY ANY LONGER.

Your best bet- find a FFL at your current home, have him hold them until you notify him, and have him ship them to you. THEY can use US Mail for handguns. Again, there is no transfer of ownership, and he can return the guns to you with no 4473, etc etc.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Id say flying would be the easiest solution.
with flying, you have to deal with TSA! they can be a bunch of pricks when it comes to firearms. i know i would never trust them to know the laws as they apply to firearms nor have the common sense to apply them as they were written.