Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Moving to Alaska (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/moving-alaska-65725/)

pwg212 06-03-2012 07:33 PM

Moving to Alaska

Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to ship my handguns to Alaska, please.

Thanks in advance for any info

HockaLouis 06-03-2012 07:52 PM

By common carrier courier? UPS, FedEx via an FFL!?

Chainfire 06-03-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwg212 (Post 823769)
Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to ship my handguns to Alaska, please.

Thanks in advance for any info

If I were flying there I would check them at the airport. It is an interesting question though; can you legally ship your own firearm to yourself, across state lines?

Axxe55 06-03-2012 08:54 PM

lot depends on where you are starting from, how you intend to move and how many firearms there are to move. might be a good idea to check with a lawyer on the legalities if using a shipping method, but if you plan on driving and moving your property with you, and if i am not mistaken, Alaska is pretty tolerant on gun issues and one state that is the gun owners friend. if driving, i don't see why you couldn't pack then very nicely and secure and just take them with you. but as i said before, might check with a lawyer and have him or her steer you in the right direction.

Chainfire 06-03-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 823838)
lot depends on where you are starting from, how you intend to move and how many firearms there are to move. might be a good idea to check with a lawyer on the legalities if using a shipping method, but if you plan on driving and moving your property with you, and if i am not mistaken, Alaska is pretty tolerant on gun issues and one state that is the gun owners friend. if driving, i don't see why you couldn't pack then very nicely and secure and just take them with you. but as i said before, might check with a lawyer and have him or her steer you in the right direction.

My first thought was, "why not just drive them?" There may be an issue with crossing an international border with handguns. The Canadians, might not like it.

Axxe55 06-03-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 823858)
My first thought was, "why not just drive them?" There may be an issue with crossing an international border with handguns. The Canadians, might not like it.

that is part of the reason i suggested he contact a lawyer. even though he is going to another United States territory, (Alaska) he would still have to cross through Canada which is another country and also requires a passport to go across the borders. i feel contacting a lawyer would be in his best interests to remain legal and not be in danger of his firearms being taken or being arrested for friearms violations.

SSGN_Doc 06-03-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 823827)
If I were flying there I would check them at the airport. It is an interesting question though; can you legally ship your own firearm to yourself, across state lines?

Yes, but you need to be there to receive it. You can leave tehm with a gunshop that you trust, and have them drop them off for you on the date you want them shipped. Handguns do have to go next day. Shipping gets expensive.

michigan0626 06-03-2012 10:33 PM

Id say flying would be the easiest solution.

c3shooter 06-03-2012 10:36 PM

You MAY ship firearms to yourself across a state line- no transfer of ownership. Handguns may only be shipped by UPS and FedEx Next Day Air unless you are a FFL.

You can check the Canadian Customs website- here is some direction- http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

There ARE restrictions, paperwork and permits for transporting guns through Canada. Some you will not be allowed to bring through. Years ago it was simple- you declared the handgun, Canadian Customs would put it in a plastic bag, seal bag with a stamped lead seal, and give you a transit permit. Show that and unbroken seals when leaving. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY ANY LONGER.

Your best bet- find a FFL at your current home, have him hold them until you notify him, and have him ship them to you. THEY can use US Mail for handguns. Again, there is no transfer of ownership, and he can return the guns to you with no 4473, etc etc.

Axxe55 06-03-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigan0626 (Post 823943)
Id say flying would be the easiest solution.

with flying, you have to deal with TSA! they can be a bunch of pricks when it comes to firearms. i know i would never trust them to know the laws as they apply to firearms nor have the common sense to apply them as they were written.