Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Mouse gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Mouse gun

A lot of people refer to .22's and .25's as mouse guns. Some would even call my LCP a mouse gun.

However today I discovered a very good mouse gun. I was out exchanging the memory sticks in my trail cameras. When I finished I stopped my four wheeler at one of my shooting houses just to check it. I probably should interject at this point that when afield I always am armed. Today I was carrying my S & W Model 317 Airlite .22 LR. It is the three inch barrel version. Anyway when I opened the door to the shooting house, I saw four mice in it. I pulled the 317 and was able to kill three of them before the fourth one was able to make it down a hole and get out. And it only took three shots. Nice mouse gun!

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Human can't get along without killing each other, let alone getting along with mice.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Poor mices.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Shooting mice is typically not good for the floors. It tends to make holes in them.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Darn fun though. I prefer my 357, screw then lil basterds

Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Shooting mice is typically not good for the floors. It tends to make holes in them.
Two of the bullets lodged in 2x4's after going through the mouse and the other went through the particle board wall.

You can see the shooting house in the background of the picture.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
fun though. I prefer my 357
A .357 would definitely work, but I have found the .22 to an entirely adequate caliber for mice. And besides it is a lot cheaper. And not nearly as hard on the ears. I didn't have any ear protection.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Mice Load

A fellow member shared this and I'm happy to pass it on - 22 Short w low velocity ammo in a revolver, little asset damage, low noise and still effective on mice. Great way to put old revolvers to good use. (original use was to keep corn cribs critter free).

Nothing against 357s but they do tend to alarm the stock and if you've ever fired one indoors - enough said...

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-06-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My mother was always against guns. It was almost a miracle that I got to have mine in her house. The recent threat from the "Occupiers" opened her mind some. Dad had passed, so She told me that she was afraid to be home alone. She saw one of my "American Rifleman" mags, and asked about the gun on the cover again. I thought about that one, prayed and started looking. I got mom as much gun as I thought she could handle. Simple but effective close-in. So for Christmas, I got her her first gun. At 75 years old. It was a Kel-Tec P32(I had given it a thorough check-out) . It was very simple. No buttons or switches to manipulate. Just point and click. Got her a nice little holster, that could be attached to anything. I made sure that she knew not to touch the trigger until she intend to shoot. She warmed up to it quickly. I got her to practice (unload) racking the slide, pointing and shooting. She seemed happy, familiar, and comfortable with it. I was looking foward to the day we could start with phone books. She seemed confident enough to plan a trip to the range when the weather got better. Well, she passed in Feb.
I still have the little gun. But most of all, I'll always remember the one special person I got to introduce to guns.

"Mouse-Guns" have their place. Some times we take for granted, our health, vison, strength and manual dexterity. Just racking the slide can be a challenge for some. Not that I'm saying be irresponsible and give everyone a deadly weapon, but following the rules of the State/Country, anyone sane, cognative and physically functional, feels the need for a little more protection, it is there for them also.

ARMY VET - DV - NRA Life Member - Holmesburg Fish & Game
Artillery lends a bit of dignity to what otherwise would be just a savage brawl......

Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Rab, I agree w ya, there is a time & place for all manner of firearms. I have an LCP and in the middle of the night, it ain't easy to charge. So I keep it loaded.

When you factor in disabilities and ease of use, I'm a big fan of the simplicity and durability of revolvers. CT lasers w be a nice addition as they allow you to practice trigger control and the BG to make "an informed" decision.