Most useful handgun. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Most useful handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
For me, it would be my Ruger GP 100 revolver.
Good choice, those things are really well built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I'd like to hear not just what your choice is, but why you believe it to be the all around best choice. Who knows, someone here could change my mind.
It's just history with these handguns that makes me lean to them. I've got 1911's here that have shown time and again their worth to me with countless rounds of reliable and accurate shooting. I am comfortable taking them down to pieces and fixing them. Parts are everywhere too. The 45ACP round is prevalent everywhere I'm going to be so it just stands out as a great choice. I guess id I wanted to stay wit ha 45ACP but have a revolver I do have a Mod 25-2 but moon clips and my only handgun just doesn't sit the best with me.
So, if I was to keep jsut a revolver then the old 28 Smith would have to be the way to go. With the ability to use more than one type of ammo and the revolvers time tested reliability it would be highly sought after I would think in a one gun situation.
I am a HUGE N frame fan. The reason I like revos like the GP100 are for the same reason. They are built like tanks! My two Smith N frames have very good triggers. The 25 is a little better in DA but it was tuned to be. The 28-2 Hwy Patrol revos are personal favorites for me. I prefer the not so pretty finish of the old workhorse. I remember when police carried them back when and I said as a kid that I would have one some day. My Dad has a few cop friends nad I got to shoot a couple as a teen. When I found one the money about started a fire coming out of my wallet it was so fast. It is a little heavy for carry for the average guy I guess but wit ha good belt and holster and the right dress it's not bad at all. I'm figuring that this One Gun Situation has caused me to leave in a hurry and I was only able to grab the one pistol. I'm not going to be concerned with hiding it all that much.

So that's it..In a nutshell the 1911 is easy to work on once you learn your way around it and the round is plentiful. Same for the N framed 357 but you get the added ability to use 38spl. I'd have no problem with either.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine would be either my Ruger Security Six .357/.38, but most likely my Glock 33. It shoots Sig .357 & also I have recently purchased a 40 s&w barrel & the 9mm conversion. So I have 3 choices of ammo. I haven't shot the 9mm yet because I need to buy mags to use the 9mm. The Sig .357 & 40 s&w both use the same mags. I can use up to 33 rd .9mm mags, 10 rd, 15 & 17 rd mag capacity. Great conceal weapon with grip Crisom Trace sights & good glow-n-dark fixed sights. You can even take medium to large game @ close range.
It's not my favorite pistol, but with the dual ported .40 cal it's closing the gap on all my others. What's your favorite hand gun if the shtf?

Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

"What's your favorite hand gun if the shtf?"
Super Soaker,
How else am I going to clean off all the s..t on the fan?

ss50.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Liked 1144 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpz71 View Post
What's your favorite hand gun if the shtf?
Ah, that would be another thread.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6621 Times on 3689 Posts
Likes Given: 6293

My SIG P226, 9mm.

Excellent defensive weapon,

will kill game if necessary,

ammo is available world wide, not just ion the U.S. and economical.

standard, or secondary standard issue of half the armies in the world and probably more than half of the LEAs worldwide

Magazines and spare parts universally available due to above.

accurate, low recoil easy to shoot and easy to conceal.

Last edited by locutus; 05-26-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6621 Times on 3689 Posts
Likes Given: 6293

[QUOTE=Jagermeister;1257921]"What's your favorite hand gun if the shtf?"
/QUOTE]

Colt AR-15

Old 05-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
My SIG P226, 9mm.

standard, or secondary standard issue of half the armies in the world and probably more than half of the LEAs worldwide

226 is a fantastic pistol.I gave my daughter mine as a gift a while back after she said she was going to take it form me anyway..
At the moment is is her "Only Pistol"

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #18

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can't decide...for a wheel gun any S&W .357 with 4" or greater barrel.
Reliability, stopping power and ability to use .38 or .357 give it high marks for versatility.

But for an auto I'd pick a Glock 17. The 17+1 of 9mm in the rock solid platform of the Glock make it hard to beat. 9mm is plentiful, offers good stopping power for most threats, ammo is cheap, the capacity is awesome, and it doesn't require much maintenance to make it go bang.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #19

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
My SIG P226, 9mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

226 is a fantastic pistol.I gave my daughter mine as a gift a while back after she said she was going to take it form me anyway..
At the moment is is her "Only Pistol"
They are quite awesome. But for someone who has only used DA/SA revolvers in the past, and currently a 1911, that gun intimidates the hell out of me to detail strip. Little pig tail springs and decocking lever... *shiver*
I like it simple.

My go-to, end of the world, never gonna be able to get another, never getting a second, or back up... Would have to be a K or N frame .357 for all the reasons already stated.

Sadly, between that and my 1911, the 1911 would just have to be my second choice. I wouldn't want something that uses a removable feeding device that can be lost, damaged, or worn out in an EOTWAWKI situation. 1911 mags have to be some of the most prolific out there, but there's never a guarantee you'd be getting your hands on them.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #20
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Out of what I have I would have to go with my glock 20 first. High capacity and stopping power combined with a serious rust resistance as well as the fact that it can also double as a knife sharpener. Lol
My second choice would be the single six for the reasons stated above as well as the ability to carry a rediculous amount of ammo.

I don't need No stinking signature.