Most useful handgun.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Most useful handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Most useful handgun.

What do you consider the most useful all-around handgun? Not necessarily your favorite, but the one that would be suitable for the widest variety of needs.

My runner up would be a good .22 handgun, probably the Ruger .22 Single Six Convertable, as it would fire both .22 and .22 magnum; and in some circumstances it might be my first choice.

But I believe that if my worst nightmare came true, and I could only have one handgun, it would be a 4" barrel .357 magnum. I am going to guess that there are more loadings available for the 38/357 than any other handgun cartridge. This makes it possible to do everything from plinking to self defense to hunting moderate size critters.

I'm not saying that it's the BEST plinking gun; the BEST self defense gun; or the BEST hunting handgun. I'm saying that it's the best compromise for using for All of these uses.

But which one? I'm a big fan of the N frame .357's, and the model 28 might be my choice. A little big for carrying for self defense, though, although manageable with the right clothing choice. Another contender would be the Ruger Blackhawk, and if you got the 9mm/.357 convertible model, you would have even more flexibility (I can't vouch for this -- although I've had and have the .357 Blackhawk, never had the convertible). But, being single action, is it the best all around choice? Finally . . . the Model 19 Smith. I love the K frame Smiths, but they're a little lightweight for shooting the really heavy .357 loads. The best choice for self defense carry, though.

Okay, just between you and me (the guns don't need to know) if I had to pick only one, it would be -- by a very close vote -- the N frame Smith.

Although at the last moment I might forego cold, hard logic and just clutch a 1911 to my chest.

Anybody have a different canidate for the most useful all around handgun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The best is what you shoot best. Now if I was to only be allowed one for some reason I'd probably have to have one of my 1911's or my 28-2 Smith N frame.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7661 Times on 4603 Posts
Likes Given: 9573

For me, it would be my Ruger GP 100 revolver.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a Glock guy personaly and I'd go with the g30sf

Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'd like to hear not just what your choice is, but why you believe it to be the all around best choice. Who knows, someone here could change my mind.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3862 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I guess my full size HK USP .40. It will take out any two for four legged animal I run across here in Germany. It is my sidearm while hunting, and the polymer frame means it will survive the harshest environment. It has been tested on the battlefield and in law enforcement and is known for it's accuracy and reliability. It is easy to clean and I can find parts easy in Germany. I can find .40 ammo as easy as 9mm ammo. I do think that gun choice is depended on the environment/locality.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7661 Times on 4603 Posts
Likes Given: 9573

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I'd like to hear not just what your choice is, but why you believe it to be the all around best choice. Who knows, someone here could change my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
For me, it would be my Ruger GP 100 revolver.
Well, because it can shoot .38 and .357. It's a good self defense handgun, I could hunt with it, too. If I had to leave the safety of my home in a shtf situation and could only take one gun, it would be my revolver. It has a little bit of versatility to it that my other handguns don't have.
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #8

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

My choice would be a Sig P229 (I have a 226 but it's a little large for concealment)for the fact that simply swapping out barrels you can use 357.,40.,9.and if you wanted to shoot 22l. you can apply a caliber exchange kit.They are extremely accurate and function flawlessly(of coarse someone here may have had a different experience as to functionality).

Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3862 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigArmored View Post
My choice would be a Sig P229 (I have a 226 but it's a little large for concealment)for the fact that simply swapping out barrels you can use 357.,40.,9.and if you wanted to shoot 22l. you can apply a caliber exchange kit.They are extremely accurate and function flawlessly(of coarse someone here may have had a different experience as to functionality).
I did not choose my 226, because the 9mm is underpowered for larger four legged animals. If the question was which handgun to use in competition or for home protection (mag. capacity), I would choose the Sig of course.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #10

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If shtf and I can only take one handgun, I would also grab my SW 357 mag, 6" barrel. Why, availability of ammo, sheer power and precision. I trust it will go bang every time.