Most underrated round? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Most underrated round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #31
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 253 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Does someone make a .50 BMG pistol? Or did you mean .50 AE: i.e. Desert Eagle?

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #32

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4ever View Post
Don't forget,it's not the size of the bullet but where you place it.
Exactly, shot placement is first and foremost. A hit with a .22LR does more damage than a miss with a .44 Magnum.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #33

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
Does someone make a .50 BMG pistol? Or did you mean .50 AE: i.e. Desert Eagle?
They exist, I googled them before posting. I don't think anyone makes a mass produced model.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

jgoertz Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I find the .22 is to weak argument to be ignorant. The question I typically ask is, if someone whips out a .22 pistol and starts shooting at you, are you gonna laugh and say haha that's a .22 or are you going to run like hell hoping not to get shot? The same premise for the feminine colored guns. I get all kinds of funny faces and laughs when I take my wifes S&W 15-22 in pink tiger stripe camo to the range. But hey, it's fun to shoot and buying it for her meant I had one more gun in the house that serves a purpose. Plus she's more willing to go to the range! But back to .22, it can be deadly at 400 yards in the right hands. I have no disrespect for that caliber. Any gun, any caliber in trained hands can be deadly

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #35

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

22 magnum. Hornidays critical defense 45 grain jhp. Are quite nasty. Filled up a milk jug with water and red food coloring in the snow and shot.. Very impressed. Thought I was going to put all six rounds into it but it split the whole jug in 2 pieces on first shot. Red spray surrounded a 4 ft diameter behind the jug

Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #36

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I find the .22 is to weak argument to be ignorant. The question I typically ask is, if someone whips out a .22 pistol and starts shooting at you, are you gonna laugh and say haha that's a .22 or are you going to run like hell hoping not to get shot? The same premise for the feminine colored guns. I get all kinds of funny faces and laughs when I take my wifes S&W 15-22 in pink tiger stripe camo to the range. But hey, it's fun to shoot and buying it for her meant I had one more gun in the house that serves a purpose. Plus she's more willing to go to the range! But back to .22, it can be deadly at 400 yards in the right hands. I have no disrespect for that caliber. Any gun, any caliber in trained hands can be deadly
The problem with defense is if the BG isn't of a mind to run the 22 is less likely to do the necessary damage before he gets to ya than would something bigger. I like the idea of cocking a hammer and anyone within ear shot runs, but it's extremely unlikely in everyday defensive scenarios.

Now a well placed shot is exactly that and kills as well with a 22 as it does with a 45, all in saying is one should never rely on a ghoul running simply because you draw. If ya draw be prepared to fire and hit what you intend, otherwise carry a whistle and hope there's help nearby.

I must ask what purpose a 22-15 served. I have a Mossberg version of same rifle and fail to see any purpose other than plinking fun, which is fine because that's why I bought it.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The .25 auto. Why? 2 reasons.

First, it SHOULD be "underrated". Small, light bullet without a lot of power behind it.

Second- having said that, a well made .25 auto WORKS. The cartridge feeds much more reliably thru an auto than a .22 rimfire. They are small enough to be carried inconspicuosly.

Would it be my FIRST choice for a defensive arm? Oh HELL no!

Would I like to get SHOT with one? Again- Oh HELL no!
Had a friend that carried a .25 his plan for SD was first fire the full magazine into the bad guys shorts, hit him in the head with the empty weapon and then run like hell!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #38

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
I recently have a sparked interest in .22 mag. Everything I've read leads me to believe its a very fun round. On top of that, I saw last week that Ruger came out with a .22 mag LCR that looks pretty sweet. I know they make defense loads now (gold dot, hornady, etc.) and I was curious if anybody would trust their lives to a .22 mag revolver or any other "under the radar" rounds that aren't .357 mag or .45 acp. I usually use my handguns for hunting sidearms as protection but also rely on them for HD.
.22mag is a darned good round. As to your question trusting your life to a .22mag revolver. I have an issue with capacity with such a light round. Witch brings this into the picture.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/

30 rounds of .22mag in qa slim package. Although you would have to keep in mind the troubles of rimfire roounds loading in a semi, but nevertheless it seems to be a neat little piece (if it is proven to be reliable).

For the record: I have yet to personaly handle one of these for myself.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 253 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
They exist, I googled them before posting. I don't think anyone makes a mass produced model.

Dam, I'd hate to be holding that when it went off, even with the comps.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
Dam, I'd hate to be holding that when it went off, even with the comps.
Don't think I'd want to be anywhere near that muzzle brake when it was fired either.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly