Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > More fuel to the fire.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 239 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default More fuel to the fire.......

as to the supremacy of revolver vs. autoloader:

Caught the closing scenes of an old western movie yesterday. Gene Autry was chasing a stagecoach full of outlaws. The outlaws had Colt Government Model autoloaders (one of whom cocked his auto Single Action style prior to firing.) while Gene, of course, was "totin' his old forty-four."

Gene won, of course.

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Why not have the best of both worlds.... and get a Mateba...

CJohn364 Likes This 
Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
Why not have the best of both worlds.... and get a Mateba...
What the....

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Gene's 44 was the number of shots before having to reload. What happened to that technology? D id the government ban it?
As far as cocking the 1911 for each shot, it probably had to be cycled too as the blanks then would not cycle.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
as to the supremacy of revolver vs. autoloader:

Caught the closing scenes of an old western movie yesterday. Gene Autry was chasing a stagecoach full of outlaws. The outlaws had Colt Government Model autoloaders (one of whom cocked his auto Single Action style prior to firing.) while Gene, of course, was "totin' his old forty-four."

Gene won, of course.

Bob Wright
That was Gene Autry. I love Gene as much as anyone. He always tried to set a good example even if it meant the story wouldn't be as good. We all know that no one can make the shots Gene made on TV.

If you have ever tried to shoot a can off the top of post while riding a running horse, you know how hard it would be to shoot someone off the top of a stage coach. Gene routinely made these shots at long range. He even shot people off the top of hill with his pistol, a shot that would have been difficult to make with a nice rifle.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Bob (and I say this with tongue in cheek),
I concede that revolvers are better than semi-autos.

If it was shown on TV, it has to be true!

(just kidding)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
As far as cocking the 1911 for each shot, it probably had to be cycled too as the blanks then would not cycle.
You know I kept watching for that and never did see any of them cycle the slide manually.

This was the station coach with no doors, and the "outlaws" did duck back inside after each shot, presumable to cycle the pistol.

Bob Wright

Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1119 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
That was Gene Autry. I love Gene as much as anyone. He always tried to set a good example even if it meant the story wouldn't be as good. We all know that no one can make the shots Gene made on TV.

If you have ever tried to shoot a can off the top of post while riding a running horse, you know how hard it would be to shoot someone off the top of a stage coach. Gene routinely made these shots at long range. He even shot people off the top of hill with his pistol, a shot that would have been difficult to make with a nice rifle.
I read somewhere many years ago that ol' Gene was a spoiled rich kid who wanted to be a movie star so he produced and directed his own movies. He was a drunk, and many times the crew had to tie his boots to his stirrups to keep him from falling off his horse.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I read somewhere many years ago that ol' Gene was a spoiled rich kid who wanted to be a movie star so he produced and directed his own movies. He was a drunk, and many times the crew had to tie his boots to his stirrups to keep him from falling off his horse.
I don't buy that story. Gene was the son of an Oklahoma rancher, went to work in a telegraph office where he was discovered by cowboy star/comedian Will Rogers. An accomplished pilot, he served in WW II, but not as a colonel as he wanted to enlist as. And Gene hired a young singer to co-star in some of his movies, Leonard Slye, who became better known as Roy Rogers.

Bob Wright
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1119 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
I don't buy that story. Gene was the son of an Oklahoma rancher, went to work in a telegraph office where he was discovered by cowboy star/comedian Will Rogers. An accomplished pilot, he served in WW II, but not as a colonel as he wanted to enlist as. And Gene hired a young singer to co-star in some of his movies, Leonard Slye, who became better known as Roy Rogers.

Bob Wright
I stand corrected. Here is a Wikipedia article about him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Autry