Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   More fuel to the fire....... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/more-fuel-fire-75842/)

Bob Wright 11-07-2012 03:16 PM

More fuel to the fire.......
 
as to the supremacy of revolver vs. autoloader:

Caught the closing scenes of an old western movie yesterday. Gene Autry was chasing a stagecoach full of outlaws. The outlaws had Colt Government Model autoloaders (one of whom cocked his auto Single Action style prior to firing.) while Gene, of course, was "totin' his old forty-four."

Gene won, of course.

Bob Wright

Trez 11-07-2012 03:56 PM

Why not have the best of both worlds.... and get a Mateba... :p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...evolver6in.jpg

Garadex 11-07-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez
Why not have the best of both worlds.... and get a Mateba... :p

What the....

JTJ 11-07-2012 05:09 PM

Gene's 44 was the number of shots before having to reload. What happened to that technology? D id the government ban it?:rolleyes:
As far as cocking the 1911 for each shot, it probably had to be cycled too as the blanks then would not cycle.

Old_Crow 11-07-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 1005157)
as to the supremacy of revolver vs. autoloader:

Caught the closing scenes of an old western movie yesterday. Gene Autry was chasing a stagecoach full of outlaws. The outlaws had Colt Government Model autoloaders (one of whom cocked his auto Single Action style prior to firing.) while Gene, of course, was "totin' his old forty-four."

Gene won, of course.

Bob Wright

That was Gene Autry. I love Gene as much as anyone. He always tried to set a good example even if it meant the story wouldn't be as good. We all know that no one can make the shots Gene made on TV.

If you have ever tried to shoot a can off the top of post while riding a running horse, you know how hard it would be to shoot someone off the top of a stage coach. Gene routinely made these shots at long range. He even shot people off the top of hill with his pistol, a shot that would have been difficult to make with a nice rifle.

danf_fl 11-07-2012 06:54 PM

Bob (and I say this with tongue in cheek),
I concede that revolvers are better than semi-autos.

If it was shown on TV, it has to be true! ;)

(just kidding)

Bob Wright 11-07-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1005239)
As far as cocking the 1911 for each shot, it probably had to be cycled too as the blanks then would not cycle.

You know I kept watching for that and never did see any of them cycle the slide manually.

This was the station coach with no doors, and the "outlaws" did duck back inside after each shot, presumable to cycle the pistol.

Bob Wright

AIKIJUTSU 11-14-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 1005242)
That was Gene Autry. I love Gene as much as anyone. He always tried to set a good example even if it meant the story wouldn't be as good. We all know that no one can make the shots Gene made on TV.

If you have ever tried to shoot a can off the top of post while riding a running horse, you know how hard it would be to shoot someone off the top of a stage coach. Gene routinely made these shots at long range. He even shot people off the top of hill with his pistol, a shot that would have been difficult to make with a nice rifle.

I read somewhere many years ago that ol' Gene was a spoiled rich kid who wanted to be a movie star so he produced and directed his own movies. He was a drunk, and many times the crew had to tie his boots to his stirrups to keep him from falling off his horse. :D

Bob Wright 11-14-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU (Post 1014184)
I read somewhere many years ago that ol' Gene was a spoiled rich kid who wanted to be a movie star so he produced and directed his own movies. He was a drunk, and many times the crew had to tie his boots to his stirrups to keep him from falling off his horse. :D

I don't buy that story. Gene was the son of an Oklahoma rancher, went to work in a telegraph office where he was discovered by cowboy star/comedian Will Rogers. An accomplished pilot, he served in WW II, but not as a colonel as he wanted to enlist as. And Gene hired a young singer to co-star in some of his movies, Leonard Slye, who became better known as Roy Rogers.

Bob Wright

AIKIJUTSU 11-14-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 1014204)
I don't buy that story. Gene was the son of an Oklahoma rancher, went to work in a telegraph office where he was discovered by cowboy star/comedian Will Rogers. An accomplished pilot, he served in WW II, but not as a colonel as he wanted to enlist as. And Gene hired a young singer to co-star in some of his movies, Leonard Slye, who became better known as Roy Rogers.

Bob Wright

I stand corrected. Here is a Wikipedia article about him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Autry


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.