More is better???? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > More is better????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think if you are going to own it, use it and get good with it. if you have one that you really like but are not as good with as you would like to be, then this is a good reason for more practice with it. if you're not good with it, and it holds no family or sentimental attachment, then get rid of it and find something else that suits you better. i have a deep fondness for 1911's and have owned many over the years, but i am not near as good with them as i am with other pistols i own or have owned. i am also a better shot with full size revolvers than my semi auto pistols. i expect many others fall into the same situation as i do.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I own a variety of handguns, different guns, different purposes.

Out of that there are 3 that I routinely use for CC: a Sig P226, Sig P239 and a full size STI 1911. I am at the range at least once every week and I shoot all 3 every time.
The one I shoot best? The 1911 but only marginally, I would not want to be on the receiving end of any of them. At 7 yards nothing outside the 8 ring, the 1911 is mostly in the 9 or X. No bragging, I see people that outshoot me every time at the range. But I keep working at it.

I used to shoot with a Gunny, talk about humbling.

My advice, regularly shoot everything you might carry and shoot them enough to have confidence in them and you have no worries. JMHO

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I think that for CCW or other defense use, you should have one gun that you are very used to and comfortable with. You should train with that gun until using it is instinctive. Beyond that, the sky is the limit. I have guns that I've bought for no reason than I wanted to own one. And shoot them all the time. But when it comes time to go out and about, I holster one gun. I know people who choose their carry gun like their shirts. Every day they decide which one to put on. And I think that's a mistake.
Sound advise here!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think a person should be familiar and proficient with all of their firearms. By this I do not mean become an expert with the firearm, just be able to use it properly. This proficiency best comes with the correct information and instruction, familiarization and practice. I have a friend who went out and bought his first handgun when Obama got elected. He bought a Glock in .40 caliber. He also bought a nice Bushmaster AR-15 at the same time. He has taken his guns out of their cases a few times to show them to his friends but he has yet to fire either one. I told him as it stands now his guns would do him little good if he needed them. He has never shot a handgun or a semi-auto rifle and he is in his late 40s. If one chooses to have a firearm to use for self-defense, hunting, recreation, etc., I feel they owe it to themselves to do what it takes to ensure they are able to properly and effectively use it. I might add that I am talking about firearms a person intends to shoot, not collector guns to only be stored or displayed.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #15

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I like having a ton of choices, but if I HAD to have just one handgun it would be my 1911 .45. I shoot it best, I like the feel, parts are everywhere and it is a big enough round for most tasks. However, I don't have to own just one so I choose to have some .22's, a 9mm some rifles and shotguns and some black powder stuff. This is supposed to be fun afterall.