Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > More accurate as a Southpaw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default More accurate as a Southpaw?

I have shot pistols right handed all of my life. A couple of weeks ago, a Marine pulled up the bench at the range next to me and pulled out his pistol. He shot 1 mag right handed, then 1 mag left handed. He repeated this twice, and packed up and left. He never even posted a target...

The one time I tried shooting left handed last year, the slide ripped a soft part of my hand open. Since then I have been a little weary. But, I figured that I would try it again since that fine Marine made it look so easy.

It turns out that I can shoot more accurate left handed! Maybe my left hand has not learned all of the bad things that my right hand has. My muscle memory is much better right handed, but given time to aim the left is more accurate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
Maybe my left hand has not learned all of the bad things that my right hand has. My muscle memory is much better right handed, but given time to aim the left is more accurate.
this is true. it is easier to teach a person who has never held a gun of any sort to shoot accurately than someone that has fired them before.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Shooting has as much to do with what hand is dominate as it is what eye is dominate. Either way you learned something from the Marine, be capable to shoot with reasonable result with either hand. You just never know if bad happens you might need to shoot with your weak hand.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are concentrating on doing all the right things when you are shooting with your weak hand. As stated, it is always good to be able to shoot with either hand. I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder and switched to shooting lefty while I was shooting bullseye competition and managed to keep an above 270 average.

Kim

Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM   #5

man...I swear it feels better holding my gun southpaw, I'm gonna give it a try next time I'm at the range..

Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Shooting has as much to do with what hand is dominate as it is what eye is dominate. Either way you learned something from the Marine, be capable to shoot with reasonable result with either hand. You just never know if bad happens you might need to shoot with your weak hand.

Exactly why in Practical Shooting competitions you are required to shoot weak hand, since their genesis was in combat shooting.

Eye-dominance and handedness, in my experience at least is a strange and rather contradictory thing. Strongly left-handed, I have considerable trouble shooting handguns right handed, however I am also strongly right eye dominant and cannot shoot rifle left handed without a lot of difficulty keeping my left eye open. A bit of a conundrum I think

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D