Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   More accurate as a Southpaw? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/more-accurate-southpaw-35444/)

IXLR8 12-11-2010 01:26 AM

More accurate as a Southpaw?

I have shot pistols right handed all of my life. A couple of weeks ago, a Marine pulled up the bench at the range next to me and pulled out his pistol. He shot 1 mag right handed, then 1 mag left handed. He repeated this twice, and packed up and left. He never even posted a target...

The one time I tried shooting left handed last year, the slide ripped a soft part of my hand open. Since then I have been a little weary. But, I figured that I would try it again since that fine Marine made it look so easy.

It turns out that I can shoot more accurate left handed! Maybe my left hand has not learned all of the bad things that my right hand has. My muscle memory is much better right handed, but given time to aim the left is more accurate.
:eek:

JonM 12-11-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXLR8 (Post 400878)
Maybe my left hand has not learned all of the bad things that my right hand has. My muscle memory is much better right handed, but given time to aim the left is more accurate.
:eek:

this is true. it is easier to teach a person who has never held a gun of any sort to shoot accurately than someone that has fired them before.

WDB 12-11-2010 02:54 AM

Shooting has as much to do with what hand is dominate as it is what eye is dominate. Either way you learned something from the Marine, be capable to shoot with reasonable result with either hand. You just never know if bad happens you might need to shoot with your weak hand.

oldgrunt 12-12-2010 08:24 PM

You are concentrating on doing all the right things when you are shooting with your weak hand. As stated, it is always good to be able to shoot with either hand. I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder and switched to shooting lefty while I was shooting bullseye competition and managed to keep an above 270 average.

MidwestRookie 12-15-2010 06:05 AM

man...I swear it feels better holding my gun southpaw, I'm gonna give it a try next time I'm at the range..

zhuk 12-15-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 400940)
Shooting has as much to do with what hand is dominate as it is what eye is dominate. Either way you learned something from the Marine, be capable to shoot with reasonable result with either hand. You just never know if bad happens you might need to shoot with your weak hand.

Exactly why in Practical Shooting competitions you are required to shoot weak hand, since their genesis was in combat shooting.

Eye-dominance and handedness, in my experience at least is a strange and rather contradictory thing. Strongly left-handed, I have considerable trouble shooting handguns right handed, however I am also strongly right eye dominant and cannot shoot rifle left handed without a lot of difficulty keeping my left eye open. A bit of a conundrum I think :p