Mobil 1 for gun oil??? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Mobil 1 for gun oil???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There's a warning on the bottle of Mobil 1 that used motor oil has been shown to cause cancer. But, of course, they are talking about it's normal use in a gasoline engine. So I doubt there's anything to worry about. But then I wash my hands thoroughly after shooting, or working on any gun, to reduce the possibility of lead exposure. And to get rid of various foul odors.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Ok so I got a question to add tho...

I work at a local airport and are friends with a handful of aircraft mechanics.. I can get my hands on so top of the line expensive turbine engine oil for free.

Would this be better to use? From my knowledge is that this oil is much thinner when it's cold but doesn't break down as much at higher temps. Also it has a 450 degree higher flashpoint then most oils, and resists carbon buildup and residues much better too.

BTW... Most of this stuff is over $15 a quart!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158
Is this stuff better then hoppe's ?
Check out "the plate of truth" video on YouTube. There are alternatives to Hoppes that may be better.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #24

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
Ok so I got a question to add tho...

I work at a local airport and are friends with a handful of aircraft mechanics.. I can get my hands on so top of the line expensive turbine engine oil for free.

Would this be better to use? From my knowledge is that this oil is much thinner when it's cold but doesn't break down as much at higher temps. Also it has a 450 degree higher flashpoint then most oils, and resists carbon buildup and residues much better too.

BTW... Most of this stuff is over $15 a quart!!!
That will work good too, if the job of the oil is to work under conditions of scorching heat and friction from thousands of RPMs in a vehicle or aircraft for that matter..it will work in a firearm

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #25

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I have been using Mobil One for the last three years. I apply it with a q-tip. Works great with no problems. Really works well for guns that like to be a little wet.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
There's a warning on the bottle of Mobil 1 that used motor oil has been shown to cause cancer. But, of course, they are talking about it's normal use in a gasoline engine. So I doubt there's anything to worry about. But then I wash my hands thoroughly after shooting, or working on any gun, to reduce the possibility of lead exposure. And to get rid of various foul odors.
prolly got to ingest 55 gallons a day for 200 years to develop cancer from it heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #27

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Its good enuff for my $$$$$ truck-
Its good enuff for my $$ gun

I do use grease on my 1911 slides but thats about the only other thing i use-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 02-02-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here’s some more to look at……

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/any-sample-lube-my-new-sa1911-45933/

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #29

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-FINE-MACHINE-HAND-NEEDLE-OIL-PIN-SYRINGE-LUBE-OILER-OILING-POCKET-TOOL-/280771208074

Get yourself one of these, fill 'er up and oil away. One other trick is to mix the Mobil 1 with Marvel Mystery Oil at a 10:1 ratio.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #30

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

An automobile engine will experience a lot more motion, friction, heat, pressure, fouling, etc. than a semi-automatic firearm. Automotive engines today are built with very tight tolerances and the synthetic oils lubricate them very well. I can see where Mobile 1 would suffice quite nicely as a firearm lubricant. Plus, we are not able to clean engines after each use like we do with firearms, but the oil still protects the parts. Of course I would highly recommend cleaning your firearms after each use no matter what lube you use.