Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Mobil 1 for gun oil??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/mobil-1-gun-oil-56759/)

NvRbanArms 02-01-2012 06:03 AM

Mobil 1 for gun oil???

What's your thoughts guys??? 5W30

MrWray 02-01-2012 06:17 AM

Damn good gun lube, one bottle will last you forever

Axxe55 02-01-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvRbanArms (Post 695874)

i think if you used it in one of the smaller squeeze bottles with the the applicator nozzle, it would last a long time. Mobile 1 oil being a synthetic, and used in many high revving performance engines by many factory car builders, then it should work fine in oiling a pistol is used like regular gun oil. of course this is just my opinion on the matter and i will have to try in out myself. Lucas Oil products and additives, makes a really good gun oil. several years ago the Lucas Rep, gave us some bottles to try out. i have since run out of it and am trying to find a new source for it.

robocop10mm 02-01-2012 07:47 AM

I have about run out of my stock of Castrol Syntec. Mobil 1 will be the replacement.

Riverg420 02-01-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvRbanArms (Post 695874)

That's not a bad idea come to think about it I may try that

danf_fl 02-01-2012 09:38 AM

I purchased a couple of pump containers from Harbor Freight. I use one to lube the chains on the motorcycles, the other for Mobil 1.

BlueTurf 02-01-2012 11:25 AM

Everything I have read and heard about Mobile 1 tells me it is a great lubricant for firearms and very cost effective. You can use things like Q tips and small squeeze tubes to control the application of it. I think it would be a great choice.

Drriley 02-01-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 695930)
i think if you used it in one of the smaller squeeze bottles with the the applicator nozzle, it would last a long time. Mobile 1 oil being a synthetic, and used in many high revving performance engines by many factory car builders, then it should work fine in oiling a pistol is used like regular gun oil. of course this is just my opinion on the matter and i will have to try in out myself. Lucas Oil products and additives, makes a really good gun oil. several years ago the Lucas Rep, gave us some bottles to try out. i have since run out of it and am trying to find a new source for it.

Axxe55 - fyi
I was in my local O'Reilly Auto parts a couple of days ago and they are carring Lucas Gun Oil at the front counter. Haven't tried it

JonM 02-01-2012 12:42 PM

Motor oil is great for lubing guns. Used to use 5w30 on my issue m60 machine gun. I use it to lube pistol rails if its a long range session. I use a light gun grease for my carry guns as motor has a tendency to leak into my clothes.

Paladin201 02-01-2012 01:02 PM

I switched to Mobil 1 after seeing a discussion about it here. Cleaned and oiled my AR with it. After a range trip where I fired 100 rounds, I stripped it. Every part that wasn't directly attacked by hot gas was still visibly oily. Most gun oils I've tried, the gun would be completely dry afterward.