Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   MKIII vs 22/45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/mkiii-vs-22-45-a-56863/)

Spad2137 02-02-2012 07:11 PM

MKIII vs 22/45

What do you guys think of the 22/45? I know it has the 1911 grip angle and that that the controls are very similar to the 1911 as well, but other than that I dont know of the polymer downgrade from the classic balance weight and grip angle of their firearm is worth the cut in price. Does this effect any mechanical operations? Reliability? Life? Are the many hundreds of accessories and upgrades available for the 22/45 as well? Anybody own both?

Overkill0084 02-02-2012 07:25 PM

Functionally, I'm pretty sure that either is a good choice. Ruger sells a lot of both. If there was some problem with the 22/45, it would have come to the surface by now. I believe that field stripping is a bit different. Many accessories and parts will not care about the grip configuration. I bought the Mk3 simply because I didn't really care for the appearance of polymer grip. Opinions vary of course.

JonM 02-02-2012 07:58 PM

i put 3500ish rounds through my slightly modded 22/45 with the threaded barrel before it had its first fail to feed...

reliable yeah, so long as the loaded chamber indicator is disabled. before i disabled it i had to clean every 250 to 500.

the balance with the polymer frame and the short barrel is perfect for me. i would go with either one you like the feel of. if you end up not liking it the frame is not the reciever so you can order whatever frame you want and have it shipped to you.

the barrel section is the registered part in the mark1-2-3 series.

whichever one you get heck out the ultimate clip loader it really works!!

fast forward to 1:15 to get to the point of the vid

dks7895 02-02-2012 11:25 PM

Buy what feels right. I prefer the Browning Buck Mark over the Rugers.

Werminator 02-03-2012 05:04 AM

I love my 22/45, which by the way is still a Mark III, or 3rd generation Ruger mark pistol. The polymer seems solid and I have not yet had any problems once I taught myself to take it down and put it together. I went about 850 or 900 rounds without cleaning it before I started to see some issues going into battery which by my understanding is really good for a rimfire weapon... I only wish I had spent a little more time checking out all the variants of said pistol before committing to the cheapest one I could get (which is still a great gun!). I did opt for the model with the removeable wood panels as the grip feels a good bit thicker and I have the hands of a 6 foot tall adult male...

Axxe55 02-03-2012 06:11 AM

i bought my Ruger Mark III 22/45 last year and haven't had any problems whatsoever after about 1400-1500 rounds through it. reliable, yes! mine also has the removeable wood grips and the controls are very similar to my 1911. it is also a very fun gun to shoot with and cheap to boot. for the price and it's performance, excellent pistol.

Clem 02-03-2012 04:35 PM

When I handled a MK III 22/45 a few years ago it had the built in grip and felt a little thin to me. I passed. I already have a MK II and a couple of MK IIIs so I wasn’t hurting for .22s. Now that they have the removable wood grips, I am revisiting that decision. My local toy store has a Feb. sale on and the blued, 5 ˝” 22/45 with removable grips is available for $311. I may get one this week or next.

Werminator 02-03-2012 06:46 PM

I got mine for 3bills so your toy store isn't badly priced at all... I love my Ruger... I don't plan to change it in any way except possibly replacing the trigger components to more match grade, but that isn't likely either... I almost wouldn't want to risk influencing the already impressive reliability this pistol provides me...

hardluk1 02-03-2012 07:47 PM

My wife has the 22/45 and i have the regular mkIII. We don't like shooting each others pistol. Buy the one that feels right to you. I did install a 2lb trigger kit and painted the sites to help see them.

Axxe55 02-04-2012 04:26 AM

about the only modification i plan on doing to mine is adding a pistol scope in about a 2 power range. mine came with the scope base in the box. other than that, i'm going to try and wear it out shooting it!