Mixing and matching revolver ammo, self defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Mixing and matching revolver ammo, self defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mixing and matching revolver ammo, self defense

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, and a new gun owner. I've got a Smith and Wesson model 640. It's a .38 plus p special, and I use it as my everyday carry. I have several types of ammo, FMJ, jacketed soft points, hollow points, and wad cutters. I am open to armor piercing, tracer rounds, and to "Glasser blue" rounds.

Here is my question I am seeking opinions on:
I have 5 rounds to shoot :
what are best best choices for my first engagement round, #1
the middle rounds,# 2-3
and the finishing rounds, #4-5
in terms of type of round,
grain and any other specifics. That would be best for self defense and engaging a target, at lets say seven to eight yards.

Last, I have one speed loader, and one wallet ammo holder (6 rounds), what would everyone recommend I put in those, for my second and third wheels.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for their input

Semper Fi

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Welcome to the FTF! We have an "Introductions" area you may want to visit soon.

With your 640, you don't need different loads in different chambers. A good hollowpoint with a good track record should do the trick for everything.

Range practice (and some firearms training) will really help.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

Alright, thanks, I appreciate the info, and I will definitely check out that. The only reason I was interested in different types of ammo was, I read a page written by a former Los Angles County Sheriff's deputy, and in his model 640, he used something along the lines of maybe, one hollow point, one armor piercing, one hollow point or something weird like that. Just curious of the advantages/disadvantages of doing something like that.

Also, the Glasser Blue rounds, which from what I understand, get very high reviews, along with minimizing the collateral damage, that goes along with close quarters engagement... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

38spl

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Get a major US ammo maker's self defense load and use those in every chamber and speed loader. If in the event you should ever need to defend yourself, there is just no way to predict what the particular circumstances will be.

You're going to read many articles by folks who unfortunately may not know what they are talking about. Simply because someone used to be a police officer or sheriff's deputy, does not qualify them as an expert in guns, ammo, or self defense.

Carrying different loads in a revolver came about in the 1960's, when our ammo choices were very limited. There has been a quantum leap in ammo design in the past 10 years or so, and it is time for some people to get up to speed on what is available.

My personal preference for my .38 +P J-Frame, is Hornady Critical Defense. Virtually every major US manufacturer of ammo has a specific line of ammo engineered to meet the needs of the concealed carry community. It's a bit more expensive, but what is defending your life worth?

That's what works for me.. Your mileage may vary.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #5

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I agree with those above. pick one that works good for you and just use the one kind of ammo. In my Smith I use 115 gr. hollow points. Just my choice you should make your own choice based on what works best for you.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

I would like to add that just cuz someone is an active leo doesnt mean they automatically know what they are talking about.

Get yourself some good name brand hollow points designed explicitly for self defense. Gimmicky stuff like safety slugs i wouldnt rely on.

I switched back to using fmj in my 380acp pistols since its an underpowered round. In my 1911s i use 230grn hp.

If your recoil sensitive use 38s. If not 158grn hp 357 is a proven sd load.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Now if we were talking a SD semi-auto...mixed ball and hollow point ammo is my preference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #8

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You are WAY over-thinking this one!

Find the type of ammo that produces the best accuracy with your gun.

Strategy goes out the window the moment your gun clears leather. If your first shot goes wide what are you going to do? Reload?

Consistency, and muscle memory is what you MUST have to survive.

It's not what you send but where it's delivered. - cane

Now with that said, in my 1911 carry, I load the double tap (first two rounds) with Glaser. Besides the obvious reason they are also proven to penetrate auto windshields and deform much less than JHP's when passing through auto side glass. The remaining mag is loaded with Horandy TAP® FPD™.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello