Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Meeting with CT state rep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 431 Times on 237 Posts

Default Meeting with CT state rep

So I am heading off to meet with a state rep from CT in a little bit. Any questions or statements any one wants asked??

And please no the next civil war type things please. I am not going there to get in an argument.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Yes. Pleas ask if he thinks criminalizing law abiding gun owners by the media and by anti gun legislators along with imposing new and more stringent gun laws that only law abiding citizens will follow will inherently lower the percentage of violent crimes in America.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Ask him if he trusts the people who elected him (politely).

Good luck in your meeting.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

CA357 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How did this go? I read some thing on a proposed new ban that would only allow for single shot firearms in ct. Is this true?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian
How did this go? I read some thing on a proposed new ban that would only allow for single shot firearms in ct. Is this true?
It went really well. I thought he was going to already have his mind made up on things, but he was really listening to what I was saying. I didn't engage him in a debate, I didn't point fingers or pull an Alex jones!!! I asked what he and the legislators are thinking? And yes unfortunately at the state level at least there is a magazine capacity coming. I had said to him I figured as much, but suggested they only apply the mag ban to rifles.

Mental health was also part of the discussion. I had also told him that mandatory gun safes should also be looked at (ct has a useless trigger lock law)

All in all I would say it was a positive meeting. He wasn't trying to push his agenda, nor was I pushing mine, but rather an actual conversation.

Yes he is a dem. but not a far left dem. more to the center.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian
Oh and the single shot thing is crap. They were discussing no semi, but most of the legislators know it won't go anywhere.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

i would hope you reminded him banning things doesnt stop nuts from killing people. the two largest incidents of mass murder in the united states happened with products a 4 year old can buy. box cutters fertilizer and diesel fuel...

in oklahoma a crazy guy with a rental van, fertilizer and diesel fuel

Quote:
The Oklahoma blast claimed 168 lives, including 19 children under the age of 6,[1] and injured more than 680 people.[2] The blast destroyed or damaged 324 buildings within a sixteen-block radius, destroyed or burned 86 cars, and shattered glass in 258 nearby buildings.[3][4] The bomb was estimated to have caused at least $652 million worth of damage
in 2011 a bunch of crazy people boarded several jetliners and used box cutters to destroy part of the pentagon and the world trade center in new york.

Quote:
The attacks resulted in the death of 2,996 people, including the 19 hijackers and 2,977 victims.[33] The victims included 246 on the four planes (from which there were no survivors), 2,606 in New York City in the towers and on the ground, and 125 at the Pentagon.[34][35] Nearly all of the victims were civilians; 55 military personnel were among those killed at the Pentagon.[36]
banning civilian ownership of firearms will never stop lunatics from committing outrageous acts of mass murder. disarming the civilian populace only makes it easier for lunatics to murder extremely large numbers of people.

what law would have stopped lanza from going into that school and murdering people with an axe or a machette or a club or a chainsaw?? none. he was going to murder people no matter what. you can only stop evil by meeting it with overwhelming firepower

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-13-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #8

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
It went really well. I thought he was going to already have his mind made up on things, but he was really listening to what I was saying. I didn't engage him in a debate, I didn't point fingers or pull an Alex jones!!! I asked what he and the legislators are thinking? And yes unfortunately at the state level at least there is a magazine capacity coming. I had said to him I figured as much, but suggested they only apply the mag ban to rifles.

Mental health was also part of the discussion. I had also told him that mandatory gun safes should also be looked at (ct has a useless trigger lock law)

All in all I would say it was a positive meeting. He wasn't trying to push his agenda, nor was I pushing mine, but rather an actual conversation.

Yes he is a dem. but not a far left dem. more to the center.
I think you'd make a fine politician. You suggested they ban high capacity mags just for rifles? You must be kidding. So you only care about handguns and those who own rifles be damned? You'd make a great adviser for the lefties. Sorry for coming down on you, but I'm glad you're only speaking for yourself. That politician must have walked out of that meeting giggling like a little girl if there were many there with your mindset. You also want mandatory gun safes? It's easy to see why we're in trouble. Nice going!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can see where asking for the mag ban to only be on the rifle. He told you that it was going to happen no matter what, so you gave an alternative that he may not have thout about. Yes I have a rifle, so I am throwing myself under the buss.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11

I think you'd make a fine politician. You suggested they ban high capacity mags just for rifles? You must be kidding. So you only care about handguns and those who own rifles be damned? You'd make a great adviser for the lefties. Sorry for coming down on you, but I'm glad you're only speaking for yourself. That politician must have walked out of that meeting giggling like a little girl if there were many there with your mindset. You also want mandatory gun safes? It's easy to see why we're in trouble. Nice going!
I am not a leftie, nor am I a politician!! The way I see it there is nothing we can do to stop the high cap mag ban from happening, and if I have the choice of 10 round mags across the board or just my rifles then hell yes I want to keep the high cap mags for pistols rather than nothing.

There is no winning this fight for us. They have all the cards and the chips. Even if they only get one thing changed they win. They have nothing to loose. So isn't a little compromise better than nothing??