Media Depiction of Gun Owners - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Media Depiction of Gun Owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I used my family reunion pics because I already had them and they were a very good example of what I was talking about. Standing from left to right is Cousin Zeke, Cousin Coy and Rufus, Cousin Maddie's latest husband or boyfriend. Kneeling is Uncle Clovis.
Just my opinion, but what's wrong with those guys? Gun owners come in all shapes and sizes and I wouldn't have a problem with those representing me at all. It's not what you look like, it's what you stand for. Freedom and the 2nd amendment doesn't have a poster boy, it's there for all of us.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I used my family reunion pics because I already had them and they were a very good example of what I was talking about. Standing from left to right is Cousin Zeke, Cousin Coy and Rufus, Cousin Maddie's latest husband or boyfriend. Kneeling is Uncle Clovis.
well they sure looked like my family!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #13

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
Just my opinion, but what's wrong with those guys? Gun owners come in all shapes and sizes and I wouldn't have a problem with those representing me at all. It's not what you look like, it's what you stand for. Freedom and the 2nd amendment doesn't have a poster boy, it's there for all of us.
I never said anything was wrong with these guys. I was referring to what the media might try to use against us and frankly I think they get a lot of mileage out of a picture like this. I could easily see outlets like MSNBC using something like this in an attempt to cast gun owners in a bad light.

I see something wrong with this picture. Do you think the person who took this picture was standing in a safe location?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2032 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 389

well let's get down to brass tacks, these guys in the picture are for sure some "good old boys" and a lot of folks who don't know the south (ie: elitist journalist types), and those that like to stereotype might go as far as to call these fellas 'rednecks' (which isn't necessarily an insult, depending on where you live and who is doing the name-calling lol). Jeff Foxworthy made a fortune talkin' bout those rednecks.....

It sure isn't my look and let's be honest, camo isn't mainstream fashion at the moment. I get a kick out of the liberal media - they accuse anyone who uses a stereotype of being a 'bigot' and 'small minded' - yet they do it to prove their point every day.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #15

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Other than the two in the back should have their pistols holstered. :O I haven't any problems shooting with them good ol boys. :-D

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Gun owners DO come in all shapes and sizes, but the media doesn't portray us as the variety we are. The term "gun culture" seems to lump all gun owners whether law abiding or not, together. Cam Edwards said it very well, I am paraphrasing here: "saying the gang-banger and the hunter are part of the same "gun culture" is like saying the drunk driver and the NASCAR driver are part of the same "car culture"." It makes no sense, and yet it's done daily.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
Missouribound Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #17

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

All gun owners are not alike but the liberal mainstream media outlets try to fit us all into the same mold. The media is a powerful and influential force and can sway a lot of people, especially the uninformed. Look at all of the redneck-themed reality shows out here. Some people watch these shows and probably think everyone who lives in the south looks and acts like the families on "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" and "Swamp People".

I am just trying to say we can best win this battle with our heads and try to outthink the other side. When attending public events like gun rights rallies we should give careful thought to what we say and do. We need to avoid doing things that provide the media outlets with anything that can be used against us. We need to try to sway the court of public opinion in our favor.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
lighten up a bit! it was only some humor directed at ourselves. and BlueTurf had some very good points in his post.

i do agree with what you're trying to say. it's not how we look that's important, but the way we carry ourselves and the way we act around media or non-gun owners.