Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > In the market for a new handgun, looking for opinions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Depending on the intended use,

For self defense I like all 3 in this order
G19,M&P9, XDM

If you feel the need for an external safety the M&P can be found with one and the XDM has the grip safety.

The XDM just feels like a double decker bus in my hand, but that is just me as a buddy loves his with a passion and hates my Glock.
I also have a M&P9C and wish I had gotten the full size as the grip is just a hair small for my paws, my daughter carries it now.

Hope this helps some, good luck with what ever you get.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

They're all great guns, but for me, it comes down to the triggers.

In my hands: XD(M) > Glock > XD > M&P

But I think you've answered your own question:

Quote:
The S&W M&P9. This is my favorite so far. I don't know why, but this gun seems to really melt in to my hands. It feels by far the most natural, almost like and extension of my arms when I'm shooting.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thank ALL of you for your input. I was really hoping to hear exactly what all of you said, that they are all reliable guns and one have any MAJOR flaws that would disqualify it from the running. I think I'll be getting the M&P9 FS just us to the fit. Later down the line I can see myself owning all three, but to start I think the M&P is what I'm looking for.

Once again, thank ALL of you. You guys are the reason I come to this forum more than any other, and I really appreciate all of you taking your time to help me out.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts

No prob brother. Let is know how it goes.

spit hell fire

Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_
Thank ALL of you for your input. I was really hoping to hear exactly what all of you said, that they are all reliable guns and one have any MAJOR flaws that would disqualify it from the running. I think I'll be getting the M&P9 FS just us to the fit. Later down the line I can see myself owning all three, but to start I think the M&P is what I'm looking for.

Once again, thank ALL of you. You guys are the reason I come to this forum more than any other, and I really appreciate all of you taking your time to help me out.
Great choice. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Should try a FNP or FNX. also.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #17

Liked 2204 Times on 1266 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

Not for nothun', but many folks claim the backbone to any decent

(shooting) gun collection is a decent 22LR rifle and pistol.

Hi-Standards are extremely pricey recently, but Ruger MKs(I,II,III),

Buckmarks, etc.

For my money, a Beretta 92A1, if you have to go larger, because as

yet, I've no faith in polymers as working parts. YMMV...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #18

Liked 219 Times on 135 Posts

Walther ppq,you'll never look back.

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Perhaps one of the SR9 models offered by Ruger? I shot a G19 a couple weeks ago and again this morning but I strongly prefer my SR9 over both the Glocks I shot. The large grip of the Glock feels too big for my comfort. I also like my pistol to have a redundant safety and we all know the Glock has only the trigger shoe safety, which Ruger put on the SR9 along with a standard on/off safety right above the shooter's thumb. I did like shooting my buddy's XD45 but in a heat of the moment situation I am afraid it may not be possible for me to take the firm grip on the gun required to depress the backstrap safety. If the 3 you listed were the only options on my plate I would jump to the M&P but I feel you are missing out on a number of great offerings from Ruger, FNH, Kahr, Walther, and many others. Again, I love my SR9 which I did not purchase without lots of homework and rounds down range through other guns. Just more food for thought...

Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How ironic!...I just traded my Ruger SR9 in for a Gen3 Glock17!!....But ya no worries the SR9 is a great gun!..I put 1000 rounds through mine without a single malfunction!..It's a very impressive gun but just make sure you get a post recall gun preferably with the D shaped msg release . I had a O shaped mag release on mine and I had to use 2 thumbs to drop the mag..Also on pre recall SR9's they have bad barrel peening problems..Just a little heads up from a fellow Ruger fan.