Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > major malfunction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
I look forward to having malfunctions!

It gives me a chance to learn more about the firearm in my attempt to fix it, and more range time to confirm that it has been fixed.

But as others have stated, I do not carry what I would consider questionable.
Haha... No.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #12

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

I consider a major malfunction a gun that will not operate anymore. For instance I had one of the original d's when they were fairly new that seized up and I couldn't get the slide to move. Turns out the recoil assembly broke inside the gun. Same thing happened with a gi champion I had. Off they went

Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #13

Original xd 40. Sorry for typo

Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #14

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Major malfunctions/catastrophic failures.
It doesn't look like you have to worry about cleaning these when you get home, and no way are you going to have worry about them functioning again either.

My very trusty Sig Saur 1911 recently went down with a broken extractor after about 2500 rounds. This gun has run as reliably as one could ask for going on 7 years. It's at Sig getting fixed now, but for sure the failure planted that seed in my brain. I know the feeling you are getting after. I am currently shopping for a backup pistol.

Now, don't mistake that for unreliability. The gun had some use and as it was said to me, $hit breaks after a while. But when it was in good order it was reliable. I would never keep a gun that had multiple failures to cycle. I don't care if the gunsmith can make it shoot 100 mags with no failures. If you can't, get rid of it.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1650 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

OUCH! These appear to be problems with to hot of ammo, but regardless, I think they are all pretty much 'junk' now!!!
But to answer the question. I have had a few guns which did not function properly and If I could not fix them (usually inaccuracy) I would get rid of them. Most I have been able to diagnose and correct and continue to use!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

As stated above, all that looks like double powder dumps. NOT the fault of the gun. The Glob at the bottom looked like it really coulda HURT!

I have only had one gun and that was that junk ass Taurus PT-145 I was called a liar on another thread for talking about...its LONG since history.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If it doesn't work right I'll try to fix it and if I still can't get 100% out of it I"ll sell it. Except with rim fires. I'll give them a little leeway. But usually the malfunctions I get there are pilot error or my lack of cleaning them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

A major malfunction should not be defined by what went wrong, but by what the threat level was when whatever it was went wrong.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
As stated above, all that looks like double powder dumps. NOT the fault of the gun. The Glob at the bottom looked like it really coulda HURT!

I have only had one gun and that was that junk ass Taurus PT-145 I was called a liar on another thread for talking about...its LONG since history.
The top three definitely look like double charges, the "GLOB" (lol) could have been something else. I'm not sure what caused that, but I would sure hate to be that guy.

The point I was making with those is that I won't consider a gun to have gone through a major malfunction unless it is pretty much destroyed, or at least requires a lot of work to fix. Broken parts are not that big a deal. In most cases, you can just drop in a new one and have it going again pretty quickly.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #20

I think of malfunctions as fte, ftf, stuff like that. That gun is still in the fight. A major malfunction makes that gun useless and out of the fight. Those kabooms are totally different. Most likely ammo caused those and probably reloads at that. We all have our views of class of malfunctions. I don't trust a gun anymore that totally seized up and was useless. Although when Springfield sent my xd and champion back they both had heavy duty recoil guide rod assemblies compared to what the original was. Made me wonder why this wasn't in there in the first place. Both shot flawless after that but I sent them on their way anyways.