Magazine disconnects - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Magazine disconnects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

I personally wouldnt own a handgun with this "feature." I find it annoying at the very least. It turns out that the majority of departments near where I live REQUIRE officers to carry guns with this feature. I can understand the theory of "oh crap the bg just wrestled away my gun," but it should never come to that. If it does, I have a vest, and there is a lot of training focused on retention (OC qualification for one).

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #12

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Bad idea for a defensive firearm where one shot might save your life,but good idea for a MK3 where as you might be firing 500 rounds in a single afternoon and constantly reloading the mags,or like me,holster the pistol as I reload my mags(don't accidentally want one in there ready to go off)

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #13

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
The only value to a mag disconnect would be if you are fighting for control of your firearm with a bad guy (and losing that fight). You could eject the mag and make the firearm nonfunctional.
+1

I've seen dash cam video of this actually saving a cop. He was able to drop the mag before loosing control of his weapon.
Before seeing the video I felt this feature was a solution in search of a problem. Now I see it as a solution for an LEO problem.

TACK

Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Bad idea for a defensive firearm where one shot might save your life,but good idea for a MK3 where as you might be firing 500 rounds in a single afternoon and constantly reloading the mags,or like me,holster the pistol as I reload my mags(don't accidentally want one in there ready to go off)
Ah, I think I finally figured it out. The safety feature is for if there is still a round in the chamber, it can't be fired if the mag is out, right? I couldn't figure out why this feature would even be there.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's because too many people aren't smart enough to handle guns safely and take them seriously.

As far as "making the weapon inoperable" goes, that is a two-way street. Say an officer is doing a tactical reload (replacing a non-empty mag with a full one), and gets rushed before he can get the mag in. The ability to make that one shot could easily make or break the fight.

I liked loaded-chamber indicators. I never use them to tell me a round "isn't" in the chamber (always check the actual chamber), but I like being able to quickly tell that a round is chambered.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #16

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I don't like them but if you remove them it could be a huge liability issue if anyone ever got hurt with your pistol even after you sold it. On a hammer gun (like a High Power) after you clear the gun the hammer is a full cock and you can't lower it without inserting the mag. Just an annoyance but I don't like it. On most with this feature it interferes with easy mag removal. Low benefit but high annoyance factor.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
On a hammer gun (like a High Power) after you clear the gun the hammer is a full cock and you can't lower it without inserting the mag.
I HAAATE that about my P22!!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #18

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Ah, I think I finally figured it out. The safety feature is for if there is still a round in the chamber, it can't be fired if the mag is out, right? I couldn't figure out why this feature would even be there.
Yep, IMHO it's also there to ensure the less illuminated gun owner get's confused between his sidearms that have this feature and his sidearms that don't resulting in the next ND were sure to see pics of here...

Personally, I'd like to find a gunsmith who could safely remove the thumb safeties from my 1911's.

TACK

Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #19

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

If it was my carry weapon I would leave it in. However, I will be deleting it in my Mark III Ruger. I know how to and make damn sure to clear my gun so I serves me no use in that gun and as has been said, makes stripping it that much easier. Considering how easy it is, I would do it if you clear you guns properly too.