Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Magazine disconnects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/magazine-disconnects-47612/)

Recomm 09-01-2011 04:45 AM

Magazine disconnects

The magazine disconnect makes it so a weapon can't be fired without a magazine inserted. I feel this is a completely ridiculous and unnecessary feature for a number of reasons. Can anyone sway me with some pros to keeping it in my Ruger MK 3?

winds-of-change 09-01-2011 05:30 AM

No..... :D

But on the other hand, what is the purpose of firing a gun without a magazine in it? Other than for dry fire practice. Or am I missing something? I have a Mark II that does not have that feature.

magnumman 09-01-2011 06:22 PM

I have an LC9 with this feature. it is tough to drop the mag out of the gun unless you are trying too. I dont see myself getting rid of it. But i will grind down that horrible loaded chamber indicator.

SgtSam 09-01-2011 06:40 PM

If I have a choice, I'd rather not have the magazine disconnect. If the gun is a good one and has it, I'll live with it.

As for the loaded chamber indicator, I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I can't see it unless I'm specifically looking for it. I sure can't see it when I'm shooting. So, it's a big "so what" to me.

orangello 09-01-2011 06:43 PM

Might be good for the newer shooter, in case they aren't careful at cleaning time.

Overkill0084 09-01-2011 09:17 PM

On the MK3 it makes field stripping just that much more annoying. I've been meaning to order the needed parts to delete that stupid thing.

WDB 09-02-2011 12:05 AM

The only value to a mag disconnect would be if you are fighting for control of your firearm with a bad guy (and losing that fight). You could eject the mag and make the firearm nonfunctional.

In my opinion you should never let a threat get close enough where you are struggling to keep your firearm and if you do you best have reasonable self defense skills to correct that issue quickly.

BillM 09-02-2011 01:17 AM

FWIW, All it takes to get rid of the %@$#& magazine disconnect on a Ruger
MKIII is a MKII hammer bushing. You CAN do it with washers---but the
MKII bushing is only a $8 part.

Recomm 09-02-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM
FWIW, All it takes to get rid of the %@$#& magazine disconnect on a Ruger
MKIII is a MKII hammer bushing. You CAN do it with washers---but the
MKII bushing is only a $8 part.

I'm going to take that advice. The freaking mag won't even drop out on it's own at this point!

sweeper22 09-03-2011 06:22 PM

I pulled the mag safety from my BHP and it improved the trigger quite a bit.

But I'll be leaving it in my GSG 22lr 1911 for now. It's an extra preventer of accidental dry fires during cleaning and take down. Not a big deal, but...I'm okay with it there on a rimfire. Were this anything more than a plinker I might feel different.