Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   M57 TOKAREV Barrel swap? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/m57-tokarev-barrel-swap-41949/)

froggyjf 04-30-2011 05:27 PM

M57 TOKAREV Barrel swap?

My dad has a Yugoslavian M57. We heard that you can swap the 7.62x25 with a 9mm. I was wondering how complicated this would be, and where to start. Anyone who could point us in the right direction would be helpful.

danf_fl 05-01-2011 09:47 AM

Other considerations could be spring, magazines.

Have you thought of selling it and getting a firearm designed for the 9mm?

froggyjf 05-01-2011 08:42 PM

No, we're looking to swap the barrel. (Of corse to be practical if it turns up running us as much as it would to bye a new firearm we would go for purchasing one designed for 9mm.) I've heard of people using Romanian and Chines barrels for this. Some say stay away from the chines as they can be hard to match up. Any idea what kind of gun was the romanian they were speaking of?

danf_fl 05-01-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyjf (Post 496564)
I've heard of people using Romanian and Chines barrels for this. Some say stay away from the chines as they can be hard to match up. Any idea what kind of gun was the romanian they were speaking of?

If you don't know the people or who says what, are you sure you want to partake such an endeavor?

IMO, I would not change the caliber and purchase another firearm. That would be the safest route.

froggyjf 05-01-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

If you don't know the people or who says what, are you sure you want to partake such an endeavor?
"
knowledge has to be taken at face value; if you believe everything you hear you are sure to get messed up. But there's no harm in keeping an open ear. otherwise what would we ever learn.

I've done some research on this, and I'm not the first person to ask this question. and not once has safety came up as being something to worry about.(I'm not saying to ignore the factors, but as many "paranoid" (most of them for very good reasons so paranoid isn't really the proper word) people that are out there. I think if it was harmful not as many would try this(but then people are stupid so you never know)
Anyway, from what I've been able to find on other forms its safe and not extremely complicated. From what I read you by the barrel, a bushing, an a lighter recoil spring and your good to go. My problem is that I don't know enough about the history and design of both guns to know which barrels would work and as there are probably different ones to chose from, which ones work better then others. I am no gun smith and don't want to assume I know what someone's talking about and blow the money only to find out that what I bought is not the right stuff. I haven't been around long enough to know where to look and more important, what to look for.

chefsimms 05-02-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyjf (Post 496055)
My dad has a Yugoslavian M57. We heard that you can swap the 7.62x25 with a 9mm. I was wondering how complicated this would be, and where to start. Anyone who could point us in the right direction would be helpful.

Why do you want to swap to 9mm, the 7.62x25 is cheap, shoots well?

froggyjf 05-02-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Why do you want to swap to 9mm, the 7.62x25 is cheap, shoots well?
Simplest answer is because we just do. Mostly though is because we fish alligators and know the 9mm works well to kill them but doesn't go through the underside of there jaw. the 7.62x25 round is hotter and most likely would. Our other reason is the surplus ammo won't be around forever. so to have more options. Anyway I'd rather not "discuss" why, there are far to many opinions out there. But I've been reading forms and some people go ask this and then realize it would be pointless for them to do so and change there mind. I realize the value of 7.62x25 v. 9mm and what I'm gaining and loosing. Would the barrel from this handgun work? -Norinco model 213 9mm Thanks, Brian

danf_fl 05-02-2011 11:08 PM

Norinco is a China firm.

froggyjf 05-04-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Norinco is a China firm.
Thanks. Are they legit?

orangello 05-04-2011 09:19 PM

I have seen package deals on gunbroker for a tokarev with two different barrels & found them interesting but overpriced.
like this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=228050415

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyjf (Post 498563)
Thanks. Are they legit?

They made my SKS rifle. I bleve it is a government-owned company/organization.