M&P sights?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > M&P sights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default M&P sights?

OK, have pretty successfully confused myself so far over this. The S&W site is singularly unhelpful on the subject, thought I'd confirm with the vast repository of FTF knowledge here.

I got the following info this morning via email from the guy who imports MPs in Aust -

Quote:
Yes, the M&P PRO series has a fixed rear sight as does the standard M&P9L.
>
> I wouldn't worry about an adjustable rear sight. I have pistols with both
> adjustable and fixed rear sights. An adjustable rear sight can provide
> benefits AND drawbacks.
>
>
> Benefit/drawback of fixed rear sight:
>
> 1. Once it is sighted in it will never need adjusting
> 2. You will need to tailor your loads to ensure that point of aim
> becomes point of impact
>
> Benefit/drawback of Adjustable rear sight:
>
> 1. Can be adjusted easily for point of aim to point of impact
> 2. Can be easily damaged and affect sighting
>
> In my opinion the fixed sight is the better of the two. Once the load has
> been tailored to the pistol you will never need to worry about adjusting the
> sight out to distance.
>
> In my M&P's (I have 2 of them, exactly the same setup on both) I have them
> fitted with a fibre opric front sight and fixed rear sights. My loads shoot
> about 1/2 inch below point of aim at 25 meters. Group size is around 2
> inches @ 25m. Good enough for IPSC and for me.
>
> The load that I use in my M&P is 3.6 grains of AS30 powder, a 135 grain
> round nose projectile and loaded to 1.14 inches Overall Length and a taper
> crimp on the case. This will get you right in the ballpark for POA/POI but
> may need some adjustment for individual pistols.

First off, most of the details re handloading go way over my head, fascinating though they are however for some weird reason I had been under the impression that the 9L had adjustable sights...but apparently not. My club's captain had been fairly particular in saying last week that I should get a gun with adjustable rears, and reading the above email, I can now see why. Not likely to be reloading in the immediate future.

So...any point considering aftermarket adjustables in these circumstances? I have about a month to wait now before the importer gets back from a trip to Melbourne. Time to decide...time to amass all the other stuff I need...learn how to clean the damn thing, etc

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The M&P 9L appears to have the same sight set up as the standard pistols (albeit with out Tritium inserts).

Remember, the "fixed" sights are actually adjustable. Drift adjustable for windage. The elevation is adjustable by using different front sights. "Adjustable" sights are simply "click adjustable" using a screwdriver. Some people prefer such sights for range work. "Fixed sights" are just as good once adjusted to the ammo.

Being in Australia, there is little chance you will be using this as a concealed carry piece so the snagging of "click adjustable" sights is not an issue.

Some "old school" handgunners insist on click adjustable sights, just because their game is bullseye. Drilling 5 shot ragged holes in the dead center of a target is fun but can become very boring. Modern "combat" shooting (IPSC/IDPA etc) calls for fast shots into the center area. Fixed sights are all most people will ever need.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The M&P 9L appears to have the same sight set up as the standard pistols (albeit with out Tritium inserts).

Remember, the "fixed" sights are actually adjustable. Drift adjustable for windage. The elevation is adjustable by using different front sights. "Adjustable" sights are simply "click adjustable" using a screwdriver. Some people prefer such sights for range work. "Fixed sights" are just as good once adjusted to the ammo.

Being in Australia, there is little chance you will be using this as a concealed carry piece so the snagging of "click adjustable" sights is not an issue.

Some "old school" handgunners insist on click adjustable sights, just because their game is bullseye. Drilling 5 shot ragged holes in the dead center of a target is fun but can become very boring. Modern "combat" shooting (IPSC/IDPA etc) calls for fast shots into the center area. Fixed sights are all most people will ever need.

Many thanks for that detailed explanation robo, much appreciated. I might be a bit of a slow learner here but its finally making sense. Finally, heh.

Checked out a 2-day competition held last weekend which hosted 5 of the best shooters in the country, and I noticed that a majority had both fibre optic & adjustable sights. However, one guy I asked was using a 9L with stock fixed rear sights, just installed a thinner aftermarket front filed down to achieve POI/POA. He shot with it in a US comp earlier this year to good effect. Gave me 1 mag to put through it after the comp had ended; was very impressed with its ability to return to sight picture...I think the lower bore axis helps a lot.

Also he mentioned any aftermarket sights would have to be milled to fit the MP, as messing with the slide is illegal in Production.

So...looks like stock sights will do. Just have to decide between the two now - If I can try out someone's fibre-sighted gun this weekend at the club comp that might help

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D