Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   M&P Mods / Aftermarket Upgrades (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/m-p-mods-aftermarket-upgrades-70227/)

Corndork2 08-13-2012 05:37 PM

M&P Mods / Aftermarket Upgrades

Hello to all! Thanks in advance for all opinions and suggestions that will undoubtedly be shared.

I currently am the proud owner of a Smith and Wesson M&P Full Size .40. I am a big fan of the firearm as a whole, however it has never really shot "right" for me. I am unable to hold tight groups with it at anything over 15 yards. I am able to hold tight groups at over 15 yards with other M&P's (Ive rented a couple for comparison while at the range) and with other firearms of various calibers. Other shooters have had similar issues with my M&P. It is extremely inconsistent on the range. I clean it after every range day, and have about 1300 rounds through it so far. It has never malfunctioned. It was purchased new from S&W last December.

I brought my M&P to the local gunsmith to have it checked out. He told me there is quite a bit of creep in the trigger. I heard others speak of similar issues. I have also heard others talk of a couple aftermarket parts that greatly increase the ability of the platform. However, I cannot remember what those are.

Could anyone point me in the direction of aftermarket trigger mods / etc for the S&W M&P? Or, if anyone has had similar issues with the M&P hardware / platform having issues, could you please share them? This is my first M&P so any suggestions on how to make it more consistent and accurate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Corndork2 08-13-2012 06:04 PM

Ive been looking into the AEK Trigger from Apex. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Badshot320 08-13-2012 06:36 PM

Your "Gunsmith" wasnt able to give any suggestions? Sounds like you need to find a "Real Gunsmith".

Badshot

bige91603 08-13-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndork2
Ive been looking into the AEK Trigger from Apex. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have the tactical trigger kit from apex in my sd9, it makes the crappy flappy trigger pretty dang good

Corndork2 08-13-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badshot320 (Post 902526)
Your "Gunsmith" wasnt able to give any suggestions? Sounds like you need to find a "Real Gunsmith".

Badshot

My "Gunsmith" currently has the firearm and is looking at it. It was dropped off with him yesterday, and he will hopefully have time to check it over today or tomorrow. He is specifically looking into a trigger issue. I am waiting to hear his recommendations.

I was hoping to gain some insight from other M&P users out there in case they have run into a similar situation.

Corndork2 08-13-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bige91603 (Post 902544)
I have the tactical trigger kit from apex in my sd9, it makes the crappy flappy trigger pretty dang good

Thanks for the feedback! Im hoping the Apex trigger would do the same to my M&P, as the stock one is plastic, with the hinge in it for saftey.

Badshot320 08-13-2012 07:57 PM

I took it as the gunsmith pulled the trigger a few times and handed it back saying " yup it has a trigger" :p

Badshot

bige91603 08-13-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndork2

Thanks for the feedback! Im hoping the Apex trigger would do the same to my M&P, as the stock one is plastic, with the hinge in it for saftey.

That's the exact same trigger mine has, sd9 is a lot alike the mp9

Bighead 08-15-2012 02:05 AM

I would recommend the APEX Duty/Carry AEK kit and the Reset Assistance Mechanism (RAM) to anyone carrying an M&P.

That said, if you are shooting other M&P pistols and having markedly better results, there may be some issue with the pistol. I would shoot it from a rested bench to make sure I wasn't sensitive to the snappy recoil of the .40 caliber, and if I wasn't able to group the gun I might consider sending it back to S&W to make sure there isn't something out of whack.