Lubrication of semi-auto - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lubrication of semi-auto

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami,FL
Posts: 41
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Look up frog lube on google best stuff ever.
Aperez is offline  
Mosin Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,413
Liked 2254 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

MANY years ago I formulated a mixture of lube for my semi-auto handguns because I was shooting a Commander LW and an early Colt SS 1911, both of these units could have gulling problems if not properly lubed.
I tried many lubs and combination of lubs and came up with one which really works well!
I took a 4 oz bottle of Break Free and emptied out 1 oz and replaced it with 1 oz of STP oil treatment. I use just a 'drop' on each side of the slide. I mixed this bottle in about 1978 and I still am using this same bottle. A little goes a long way!!!
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,753
Liked 3371 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default

You will get a thousand different answers to this question. Just about any lube marketed for guns will be sufficient. Some are better than others. IMHO Remoil is NOT sufficient. Synthetic motor oil will work very well. I use Mobil 1 5W30 and have no complaints. I also use CLP (I was given a gallon) and Machinegunners Lube made by Sprinco. I use dry lubes from Sentry Solutions. I also use Rig Lube +P (grease) on occasion.

WD 40 is almost universally recognized as a product that shout be kept far from guns for a variety of reasons.
__________________
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
robocop10mm is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You will get a thousand different answers to this question. Just about any lube marketed for guns will be sufficient. Some are better than others. IMHO Remoil is NOT sufficient. Synthetic motor oil will work very well. I use Mobil 1 5W30 and have no complaints. I also use CLP (I was given a gallon) and Machinegunners Lube made by Sprinco. I use dry lubes from Sentry Solutions. I also use Rig Lube +P (grease) on occasion.

Quote:
WD 40 is almost universally recognized as a product that shout be kept far from guns for a variety of reasons
.
Hopefully everyone will agree on that -----
__________________
Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET
HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: N.E. Okla.
Posts: 47
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Thanks for the input. I did try Google but I figured here would be a more experienced and knowledgeable base. I've used a small amount of Gunslick b4 which has graphite in it, but I haven't tried the white lithium grease. Is it the multi-purpose lithium grease which is available at Wally World Auto dept.?
jammer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer View Post
Thanks for the input. I did try Google but I figured here would be a more experienced and knowledgeable base. I've used a small amount of Gunslick b4 which has graphite in it, but I haven't tried the white lithium grease. Is it the multi-purpose lithium grease which is available at Wally World Auto dept.?
Same if its white - I've had a small squeeze tube for years & barely made a dent in it-
Little goes a long way-
__________________
Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET
HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

This might be a little off topic but can anyone suggest a good way to clean/remove oil or CLP from areas of poly frame gun that should not be lubed. I tend to get too much lube on the slide areas and the it drips on down. I don't think CLP should hurt anything not so sure about oil. Or is this something I don't need to worry about?
BClayton357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 11,267
Liked 7682 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 7392

Default

A good rule of thumb.

If you used what you consider very little lube, you still probably used far more than you needed.
__________________
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”[IMG] Admiral Bull Halsey

Stop the population explosion. Make war, not love :D
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sdiver35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,188
Liked 384 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default

The key to not over applying oil is Q-tips and pipe cleaners. Put a little on the q-tip and apply as needed, if you use too much turn the q-tip around and use the dry tip to remove the excess. If you want to apply lightly to the grooves on the inside of the slide use a pipe cleaner. I've used CLP for 23 years in the military and out with excellent results.
__________________
01100011011011110110110101100101001000000110000101 10111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110 01010010000001110100011010000110010101101101
sdiver35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,536
Liked 4690 Times on 2336 Posts
Likes Given: 1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClayton357 View Post
This might be a little off topic but can anyone suggest a good way to clean/remove oil or CLP from areas of poly frame gun that should not be lubed. I tend to get too much lube on the slide areas and the it drips on down. I don't think CLP should hurt anything not so sure about oil. Or is this something I don't need to worry about?
FrogLube will clean and lubricate all your products.
All I use is FrogLube now.
Mosin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
sbr semi auto invalidalias Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 9 05-20-2012 06:15 PM
New Semi-Auto ShagNasty1001 General Shotgun Discussion 19 02-25-2012 10:12 PM
AK semi vs AK auto liebo1 AK & SKS Discussion 6 12-30-2011 04:16 PM
What should I look for in a semi-auto Stuflames General Shotgun Discussion 24 12-07-2010 05:08 AM



Newest Threads