Lubrication of semi-auto
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lubrication of semi-auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lubrication of semi-auto

I have a question and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I have tried this forum and my owners manuals and still come up empty. I am trying to find out what is the best and most used method of lubrication on my semi autos. (In our family, we have a Ruger SR9C, a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, and a Glock 19). Should I be using grease on the slide or just light oil? The Ruger and Glock came with grease on the slides but after shooting the Ruger for the first time, I cleaned all that out and just applied light oil. I haven't shot it since and just wondered how the rest of you do it?
The Browning Owners manual says just a light oiling. But says nothing about the slides and rails.
I know there will be differences in opinion but I'd like to weigh all options and keep my guns working like new.
Thanks, John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Metal sliding against metal, I use a dot of white lithium grease. You can use CLP or Tetra Lube as well. For finer moving parts (hammer, mag release, etc) light oil. I grease rails by spritzing some white lith on a q tip, and rub it into the grooves. Does not take a lot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2161 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 804

You would be better off searching google. You are going to get so many answers that you will have to search google anyway.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Metal sliding against metal, I use a dot of white lithium grease. You can use CLP or Tetra Lube as well. For finer moving parts (hammer, mag release, etc) light oil. I grease rails by spritzing some white lith on a q tip, and rub it into the grooves. Does not take a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You would be better off searching google. You are going to get so many answers that you will have to search google anyway.
He just got the best answer he'll get

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #5

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

I have very rarely used grease and relied on Hoppes gun oil for most of my life with great results to this day!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #6

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

Clp clp clp...

Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #7

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Safari Charlie's or Ballistol are good options as a lubricant, protectant and cleaner.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #8

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I just use standard oil on all parts, sometimes Tri lube. What is clp? I do have white lithium lying around, could try it. I've had no issues whatsoever with pain old hoppes.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #9

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I use a little grease on the sliding parts, and mobile one oil on the other parts. I avoid Lithium grease , because it can absorb water.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

For parts that do not get above 350°, I will use a little peanut oil (then my dog won't go to far from the guns and he kinda protects them from others prying hands).
I will use a good pork lard on those that I take bear hunting (gets the bears REALLY close to ya so you don't have that far of a distance to shoot).
I use Hoppe's on the guns I want to keep the wife away from (she can't stand the smell of any Hoppe's products since I used her dish towels as rags. Even Tide detergent doesn't get rid of that smell).

j/k, I use grease sparingly on things, for stainless steel I use this:http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/254771/rig-p-stainless-steel-lube-1-oz-jar. Mainly Mobil-1 or RemOil.

SSGN_Doc, I started a thread in the general area (The Club House) you may be interested in.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 12-11-2012 at 12:56 AM.