Low Trade-In for Sigmas?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Low Trade-In for Sigmas??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

For a while now Sigmas have routinely been available for $250-$300...brand new. So it's to be expected that their used value won't be real high.

They have a rep for a lousy trigger and are abundantly available. And with that said, I think they're a relative bargain. It's just a rugged, simple, reliable poly gun. Glock rip-off? Sure. So what?

I've flirted with the idea of picking one up a few times, and may eventually do so. It'd make a great truck gun, hiking gun, etc. I know a few people who carry them as hunting BUGs. It's a gun that can be had at a good price, so it falls on the consumer to find that price...and understand that resale value will be limited. In a private sale, you should be able to fetch $225-300 for a "like new" Sigma depending on the situation. Just understand that there are some places out there where they can be acquired for as little as $250 NIB.

In most cases the best value is just to simply hold onto it if it provides you any use.

Last edited by sweeper22; 03-13-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjohnson View Post
I was just a little surprised considering I bought it new only 4 months ago and had used it very little. You live and you learn I guess.

The Sigma in particular is just really hampered by supply and demand...perhaps more than any other gun on the market right now. Were you to step up one tier to the land of Glock/XD/M&P ($500-600 new), those guns are getting 80%+ of their new price on the private resale market from what I've seen...sometimes nearly 100%.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #13

if you want resale value, get a 10-22

im constantly amazed at how ppl can buy a $180 rifle, put $30 of accessories on it, and expect to get $400 for it after its well used.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #14

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Years ago I owned a SW40VE. Due to the trigger issue for some and/or being compared to higher end guns they developed a bad rap. When looking around on the interwebz to get an idea on its standing overall the first 3 pages of google responses were not positive. I don't have much negative to say about them but as mentioned above it does come down to supply and demand.

guns, like cars, devalue as soon as you sign the paperwork on them. Why not just keep the SW40VE and possibly save for the next purchase? They are solid pieces and one can always use another firearm someplace.

dos centavos.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Guns are just like anything else in this world. You have to figure out what yuo want out of them in the long run.

You can't buy a Casio (by the way a great watch) and expect to sell it at a profit or even break even after you wear it. You buy a Rolex and twenty years down the road you can sell it used for more than you paid for it.

You bought a good reliable basic discount pistol. You can either sell it privately and take the depreciation hit or keep it around and shoot the heck out of it and have fun with it.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #16

Yeah I suppose if I wake up one morning only to find out that terrorists are out and about in our little town, I'll be thankful for having an extra gun laying around.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Trading in sucks anyway, better to sell to an individual.
Very true. I will not trade a gun in. I don't have an interest in selling firearms, (just buying them) but if I did I would sell it through the local gun shop on consignment. That way you never have to meet the buyer. Most stores will do this for a reasonable cost, especially if they know you'll be spending there in the near future.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #18

Saw a new one the other day for $250 w/ S & W's discount.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #19

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjohnson View Post
Yeah I suppose if I wake up one morning only to find out that terrorists are out and about in our little town, I'll be thankful for having an extra gun laying around.
There you go. It's also nice to have a loaner gun if you decide to take a non-shooting friend to the range.