Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Low Trade-In for Sigmas??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Low Trade-In for Sigmas??

I own the SW40VE and I have heard from many, many people that this gun is a very good gun- except for maybe the trigger (some like, some don't). Several have even compared it to the Glock platform. I also know that there was a legal dispute between S&W and Glock when they first introduced the Sigma series due to how close the Sigmas mirrored Glock construction and features. I paid right at $400 for my Sigma, and with that I got 4-14 round magazines to go with it- it sounded like a heck of a deal. I was at Gander Mountain this morning and asked how much trade-in value was on my gun and the guy offered me only $175. He said that in order to sell these guns they usually offer them between $250-$300. Of the little research I did on this gun the majority agree that it is a good, reliable, no frills pistol and the trigger is the only real drawback. I personally don't like the trigger, but it is pretty accurate (I've put about 200 round through it) and I have only been shooting handguns for about 2 years. The trade-in/ resale value is something I failed to look into before buying this gun. I am in the process of building a small arsenal (because you just never know when you'll need one) so I guess I should just consider this gun as one that will stay, because whether I trade or sell it I will most definitely loose money. Oh well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2581 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Very few guns will hold a high percentage of value. When the brand new ones are $400 or less, most folks are unwilling to spend much more than $300 on a used one (even if pristine).

If you are looking to retain value, you will have to spend more than $400. Some of the high end 1911's will retain value pretty well.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #3

I was just a little surprised considering I bought it new only 4 months ago and had used it very little. You live and you learn I guess.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Yeah, it sucks, but it's similar to a new car. The sigma is an under-rated gun.
Gander Mt is convenient, but not the best place to trade a gun. They only give about 60 to 65 percent of what they think they can sell a gun for. You will be much bette to sell the gun yourself.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Sigma's are one of the most discounted guns ever sold. Routinely, S&W would run specials with rebates and free mags. I've seen them many times at less than $300 NIB. No gun is worth much on trade in as the gun stores have to make money - 50-65% is the norm for anything...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I paid $400 for my millenium pro last year. Can't get more than $200 for a trade in. Trading in sucks anyway, better to sell to an individual.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #7

Selling is an option; I mean, for the right price I'd sell anything-almost. But, on the other hand, you can never have too many guns. Right?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #8

mine was $300 new with 4 mags. id say a PRISTINE used one would go for $250. under those circumstances, i dont see why any dealer would give you more than 175 for it.

dont forget, even if you discount all the overhead of maintaining a store front and employees, they also have to take responcibility for that gun. although they are buying it "as is", once it sold, if it turns out unfunctional, they will be on the hook for it.

your best option would be to sell it privately.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Last year, the day after Thanksgiving and through the weekend Cabelas and Gander Mountain were selling NIB in 9mm or .40 for $349. Then there was a Mfgr. $50 rebate, or some (I think 3 or 4 free mags) instead of the rebate.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I made the mistake once of selling mine, then turned around a week later and bought it back, even paid $50 more than I sold it for. Never again will I part with it.