A lot of empty ammo SHELVES - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

A lot of empty ammo SHELVES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Right now .380 ammo is the toughtest to find in this neck of the woods. Fortunately, I have a couple thousand rounds. .38 Specials are getting in short supply too.

I try to limit my gun range activities to 100 rounds per caliber... That usually takes me all day to accomplish.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax34 View Post
When I go shooting I bring 100 rounds and then I go home. Stalking the local Wal-wart and then buying ALL of their ammo really spreads the love around to other folks who buy perhaps a few boxes a visit. Keep up the bad work...
Frankly, it's not my responsibility to make sure you or anyone else has ammo.

I am not like many others with an ammo stash of multiple tens of thousands of rounds. I have a small fraction of that amount, and if there were a prolonged supply interruption I would be out of ammo quickly if I didn't adjust my shooting in a big way. I don't want to be in that situation because I am committed to developing and maintaining my proficiency.

Between my wife and I we tend to shoot around 1000 rounds a month. That's broken down as follows:
  • 2-3 trips/month to the local indoor range where we each shoot 100 rounds. So call that 500 rounds a month on average.
  • Once a month we take part in a clinic put on by the school where we've taken some training. It gives us a chance to practice things we can't at the indoor range such as working out of a holster, rapid firing, and other defensive drills. We usually shoot 2-300 rounds each at these events.

Is that too much shooting? Maybe for you it is. Perhaps you've been shooting for many years and one or two hundred rounds each month is enough for you to keep your skills tuned up. In our case we are relatively new at this, so we're still on the steep part of the learning curve. As time goes on we may dial that back a little, but for now I think that level of training is being put to good use.

Recently, as everyone knows, you can't be sure you'll find any ammo in stock on any given day. As an example, for the past several weeks none of the on-line suppliers I've been using has any .40 target ammo in stock. So, when I do find ammo in stock I tend to buy in quantities, and try to buy a little more than I plan to use so I can build up a bit of a reserve.

I think we're only being prudent.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My local Wal-Marts are pretty well empty also, but the gun shops seem to be ok. I was at a gun show in St. Charles, Mo, a couple weeks ago, and except for 380 auto, there were stacks and piles of everything. Guns and ammo. Definately no shortage there. One guy had stacks of new AR15's. I believe the only reason the shortage is because of freaked out people panic buying. Kind of like 1992 with Clinton, and to a smaller degree, the whole Y2K scare. Ammo companies are working at capacity to catch up, but I bet they aren't adding shifts or employees, because they know this supply problem will pass. I shoot alot per year anyway, so I will buy what I need for the year. I can't wait for a couple years to pass and you will be able to pick up guns real cheap because people over bought and now want to ditch them. I am happy for the gun shops to be making all this money now, because in this crappy economy, a lot of shops may have went out of business due to lack of sales. Obama is the best gun salesman to come along in a long time.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #14

I went to two Wal-Marts this weekend and one of them had three boxes of 9mm Blazer Brass. That was the only handgun ammo in either of them. I picked up two of them and left one. I've been able to find .40 cal pretty regularly, but nothing else. I personally don't think the mfrs. are holding back, but people buying everything on the shelf just because it's there. I know you have a right to buy what you want, but it just fuels the fire.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #15

I'm telling you guys, I am not hoarding ammo! I am getting tired of everyone giving me a hard time for buying ammo whenever I can find a little at WalMart. Really, we're just buying enough to make sure we can make it through any times of short supply.

Just to prove to everyone that I am not hoarding ammo, I took a picture last weekend out in the garage with my ammo stash.

daves-ammo-stash.jpg  

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

HEY! You found my stash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I'm telling you guys, I am not hoarding ammo! I am getting tired of everyone giving me a hard time for buying ammo whenever I can find a little at WalMart. Really, we're just buying enough to make sure we can make it through any times of short supply.

Just to prove to everyone that I am not hoarding ammo, I took a picture last weekend out in the garage with my ammo stash.

So, that will last maybe four or five days. You need to find some ammunition.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #18

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I bet my Kimber I could go threw that in 2.5 days.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dan, I told you to stay out of my shed! I set the Cnynrat traps but he keeps getting in!

I went to wally world and was able to pick up 300 rounds of 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 WWB ammo and leave some for my other brothers. They were short on 357 so I only got 50 rounds and 100 rounds of 38 spl. 1,050 rounds, I'm good for awhile