Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   A lot of empty ammo SHELVES (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/lot-empty-ammo-shelves-12452/)

Mark F 04-01-2009 01:02 PM

A lot of empty ammo SHELVES

I spent most of the day (yesterday) shopping for ammo. And it was an adventure! All the Wal Marts I went to had mostly empty shelves. Next, I went to Cabela's. Cabela's had ammo but mostly calibers that started with "4". IE: .40, 44 SPL, 44Mag, 45ACP, 45Colt. There was "some" 9mm but low-end brands or high dollar SD ammo. They still had some .243, 223, 308, 30-06, and other rifle ammo.

Next was a trip to Bass Pro. They had no .380's. no 9mm, no 45ACP. they did have .40 S&W for 18.95 for a box of 50 ( MagTech Brand). I bought 10 boxes. Then I went to Academy Sports. they had a few boxes of Wolf 9mm, no .380's, no 4x ammo. They did have 38 SPL +P for 18.95 a box (Winchester Brand), I bought 10 boxes.

The most outrageous price I saw was on 12 Ga. 3" Magnum shotgun shells. A box of 25 #4 shot was 39.90 a box. I bought ZERO. I did find some 12 Ga. "00" five packs for $5.89 at Cheaper Than Dirt. I bought a few boxes...

I also found and bought 3000 rounds of 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo (Bulgarian ammo) for .07 per round. That was a GREAT BUY! My old Tokarev has been through a lot, starting with the Jimmy Carter dictatorship and it will make it through the Obama Sociaxxist "régime".

If you know of a place in your area that still has ammo... you may want to go stock up, even of calibers you don't use... Ammo is good trading material!

Mark F 04-01-2009 01:08 PM

My ammo supply is about to peak at 20K. That should last me a long time.

Rare Faction 04-01-2009 03:50 PM

Guessing from your list of retailers, I'll guess you're in the DFW area as well?

If you're looking for 9mm ammo for range use, the cheapest I've seen lately was at the Winchester Gallery on the east side of Ft Worth...$30 for a 100rd box of Winchester target rounds this past Saturday. They had boxes of Blazer .40 S&W for $20/box, but no .45

Cheaper Than Dirt seems to have evolved into a place to pick up everything except ammo, as the cheapest 9mm I've seen there lately has been $19/box.

Cnynrat 04-01-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare Faction (Post 89913)
Guessing from your list of retailers, I'll guess you're in the DFW area as well?

If you're looking for 9mm ammo for range use, the cheapest I've seen lately was at the Winchester Gallery on the east side of Ft Worth...$30 for a 100rd box of Winchester target rounds this past Saturday. They had boxes of Blazer .40 S&W for $20/box, but no .45

Cheaper Than Dirt seems to have evolved into a place to pick up everything except ammo, as the cheapest 9mm I've seen there lately has been $19/box.

$20/Box for .40 S&W Blazer!! Assuming you are talking about a box of 50 that price is crazy.

We just cleaned out our local WalMart on Saturday of all the Blazer .40 they had in stock for $12 something a box (picked up 21 boxes). The clerk said they usually get ammo back in stock in about a week, so we plan to continue to monitor them regularly. Of course, we were on our way home from the range where we had just shot about 500 rounds between the two of us, so we were only up +550 rounds on the weekend. ;)

Other than the .40 they had a small amount of 9mm and some shotgun shells. It's getting to where if you find a caliber you shoot regularly in stock you need to think about buying it, because it doesn't last long on the shelves.

matt g 04-01-2009 06:39 PM

SurplusAmmo.com, Affordable Ammo

They turn stock over pretty quickly, so you have to watch the site, and jump when they get what you need in stock.

Rare Faction 04-01-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnynrat (Post 89956)
$20/Box for .40 S&W Blazer!! Assuming you are talking about a box of 50 that price is crazy.

I agree with that...seems to be about standard anymore around here, though. Walmart is always dry when I check them (2-3 times/week)

741512th 04-02-2009 01:48 AM

Same old, same old:

Whenever the consumer has a fear, the supplier withholds to drive up the price. It has happened with most commodities in the past, why not ammunition?

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! Obama was elected and the black helicopters from the UN will land in my yard and take my guns!!"

Result - the manufacturers create a false shortage to drive up the price. As soon as the demand increases the price sufficiently, the supply will be there.

Mark F 04-02-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare Faction (Post 89913)

That would be correct. I was at Winchester Gallery yesterday, but I was shooting not shopping.

I haven't found Winchester G. to be a very good place to buy anything. Pioneer Gunshop beats them on everything, guns, ammo, knives, and supplies.

Mark F 04-02-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnynrat (Post 89956)

We just cleaned out our local WalMart on Saturday of all the Blazer .40 they had in stock for $12 something a box (picked up 21 boxes). The clerk said they usually get ammo back in stock in about a week, so we plan to continue to monitor them regularly. Of course, we were on our way home from the range where we had just shot about 500 rounds between the two of us, so we were only up +550 rounds on the weekend. ;)

Other than the .40 they had a small amount of 9mm and some shotgun shells. It's getting to where if you find a caliber you shoot regularly in stock you need to think about buying it, because it doesn't last long on the shelves.

And, we wonder why there's no ammo available...

MadMax34 04-05-2009 03:36 PM

Ammo...

When I go shooting I bring 100 rounds and then I go home. Stalking the local Wal-wart and then buying ALL of their ammo really spreads the love around to other folks who buy perhaps a few boxes a visit. Keep up the bad work...