Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > looking for some advice on CZ 97B vs Px4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default looking for some advice on CZ 97B vs Px4

Hey everyone, new here to the forum and have been going back and forth between several guns I've been looking at. This will be my first handgun purchase and primary use will be home defense. I've been looking a lot into the Px4 in .45 and also the cz 97B, both guns seem to have good reviews with maybe a little more negative towards the px4 but for the most part equal. I'm here to get some of your opinions about which gun would be better in regards to: durability, ease of maintenance, accuracy, and just any other opinions you guys might have. Don't get me wrong when I say "ease of maintenance" I'm not looking for a beater gun that I'm not going to take care of, I really mean easy of striping/assembly/cleaning and availability of parts ect... I've also researched some 1911's and have not completely disregarded them but I think that these two guns are the front runners.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

for home defense 12ga shotgun trumps any handgun. but if you gotta pick a handgun CZ97BD is what i have. the difference between the B and BD is the BD has a decocker which lets you safely lower the hammer on a loaded chamber while the B version you must manually lower it creating an unsafe condition or ride in a cocked and locked condition. the BD also comes standard with tritium nite sights.

accuracy of the B and BD version is outstanding. better than any handgun in my collection.

My C97BD is what i keep with me as much as possible. i love 1911's and have 2 but the CZ97BD blows both of em out of the water for accuracy.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #3

Liked 4677 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

I'm not familiar with the Px4 but I recently went through a similar comparison with these two gun makers. I wanted a good, fun to shoot, target 9mm and narrowed it down to either a Berreta 92 which I'm very familiar with after 6yrs Light Infantry, and the CZ 75B, which was described to me as "the 1911 of Europe". Once I realized the B series CZ's were DA/SA's that could be carried locked n cocked, I was sold on the CZ. I've got 200 rounds through it now and given my past experience with Berreta's, I know I made the right choice. That's not to say that Berreta's are not good guns, they are, but some just feel better, more solid, than others. If you can't shoot both a 97 and a Px4 before you buy, I'd say go CZ. Based on my experience I don't think you'll be disapointed. The 97B is the next handgun on my list.

Tackleberry1

Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My C97BD is what i keep with me as much as possible. i love 1911's and have 2 but the CZ97BD blows both of em out of the water for accuracy.
Not sure what 1911s you own but I have yet to see a CZ that can outshoot any of my 1911s. I shoot against CZs regularly at pin matches and they have yet to win one. I think CZs are great guns but the 97 is huge, had a 75B and traded it as I find CZ triggers a bit "vague". Owned a Px4 for a while and it was OK but nothing to write home about.

If you want a reliable, accurate, sturdy, and easy to maintain .45 that is not a 1911:

For plastic - an XD .45 Compact

Not plastic - A Sig P220

Just as an FYI, I own or have owned every gun I talk about and recommend. If you're anything like the rest of us, your first purchase will not be your last and owning is the only way to really determine if you have found the "perfect" gun...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-02-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not sure what 1911s you own but I have yet to see a CZ that can outshoot any of my 1911s. I shoot against CZs regularly at pin matches and they have yet to win one. I think CZs are great guns but the 97 is huge, had a 75B and traded it as I find CZ triggers a bit "vague". Owned a Px4 for a while and it was OK but nothing to write home about.

If you want a reliable, accurate, sturdy, and easy to maintain .45 that is not a 1911:

For plastic - an XD .45 Compact

Not plastic - A Sig P220

Just as an FYI, I own or have owned every gun I talk about and recommend. If you're anything like the rest of us, your first purchase will not be your last and owning is the only way to really determine if you have found the "perfect" gun...
Experiences vary from person to person. I don't have an issue with someone saying they can shoot one firearm better than another. My CZ shoots about the same as my kimber as far as accuracy (check my threads). I have put alot more rounds downrange with my CZ though.

I've read some people claim they shoot their glock better than a 1911. There's no doubt about the niceness of the 1911 trigger, but as you said yourself, the 1911 is not for everyone.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

When it comes to mechanical accuracy, most handguns fit in the same general area. I just don't want the new fella to think that 1911s are not accurate guns. If JonM doesn't shoot them as good as his CZ, fine, but it's not the guns unless they have problems. If I don't shoot a gun well, I can't blame it on the gun usually.

And yes, I've heard that some folks can shoot Glocks well...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-02-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

well i have a 1911-A1 from springfield armory that has had a bit of accurizing work done, an ithaca 1911-A1 from 1944, a sig P220 to go with my Cz97BD. in the past i have had 2 series 70 Colt 1911, HK USP in .45, para ordanance P10. i have carried all of them at one point or another for CCW reasons and all have been in ransom rests.

while my sampling is small compaired to what is out there in the world the CZ97BD so far has shot tighter groups than the rest from a ransom bench rest. it is also the weapon i shoot the best with.

is the CZ series a good base for a match gun?? i would say no. is it a good self defense weapon short of a shotgun?? definately. is it more accurate than a typical shooter?? definately. is it easy to use and comfortable to hold?? yes. better than a 1911 over all?? thats tough to say.

the CZ weapons do not have the combat history and proven reliability and accuracy over time that a 1911 series has. 100 years of combat service is a hard thing to beat. with all the tiny little parts inside the CZ weapons i would say mechanical reliability over time and extended use isnt there. my years working in a machine shop tell me that anything that has fiddly little springs and tiny little parts will break over extended use.

i wore out my sig 220 and had to do a complete overhaul reecently on it. i do a LOT of shooting the only gun i have that needs no special care is my 1911's my ithaca is nearly a smoothbore from all the firing it has gone through its entire life. my great uncle gave it to me and he shot it a LOT. he purchased it in 1950 and its never had a single part replaced. i have shot it a lot myself.

my CZ has just begun its life. its a comfy easy to use handgun and so far i like it a lot.

is it a better gun than the PX4 i would say yes. better overall than a 1911-A1?? dunno gonna have to shoot it for 50-60 years and find out. but i do know this it is a more comfortable easier to shoot and for me more accurate gun than a 1911. i do not shoot 1911's that well. i do love em but im not that good with them.

when i go hunting my springfield 1911-A1 is the one that goes with me. the power to weight ratio is what makes me pack it as a back up piece when im out in the woods. the CZ is way to heavy to lug around when i am already loaded with other gear. the CZ is a fantastic gun when weaight and size do not matter.

anyway ill stop rambling. hopefully that gives a better view of where i am coming from. PX4 vs CZ97B CZ wins.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #8

Thank you JonM, as you eloquently clarified the point I was trying to make. Inherent accuracy is more in how the gun fits the shooter than the gun itself. A friend of mine recently unloaded his 2 1911s for 2 CZs as he likes them better. We all do have our favorites...