Looking for reccomendations. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking for reccomendations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I agree with Big001, and $240 is not a bad price for the Ruger if it is in good shape. John

Last edited by yankee2500; 05-18-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #12

A problem could be expensive not to mention being with out your gun during repair. I would go for new over used if possible, just for the warrenty and knowing how the gun has been taken care of from day one. John

Last edited by yankee2500; 05-18-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

If you want to save a little extra money, you could purchase something like the Heritage Rough Rider and use the leftover to buy something more useful in a self defense role.

My first handgun was a 4" S&W Model 19 that I found in a gun shop for $299. That was two years ago. I don't know what you'll find in your area, but two guns for about $500 might fit the bill for you.

That would give you a nice little plinker and a .357 for serious work.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:05 AM   #14

Hmm, well the point is well taken all.

Used is not the way to go then? Seems like that's the general consensus.

On a similar note, a bunch of us went out shooting today and a friend brought along his Ruger MK III and I absolutely fell in love with it. Super fun to shoot. I repeat, SUPER fun to shoot. The only problem was that with a handgun it seems like you blow through ammo a lot quicker as you want to just "unload" on your target.

Tonight I was looking online for rugers and I found several versions of the Mark III. This http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/49231_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Ruger_Ruger_Mark_III_Rimfi re_Pi.aspx
was the cheapest version and the price is right for a new one. Would that be a mistake? I was thinking if I do settle on a gun I find online I would first ask my local guy here if he could get one in and at what price. I am figuring even if he was roughly $35-$40 more than the online price it would still equal out at he charges $25 dollars for the transfer or whatever as the gun is required to be sent to a licensed FFL dealer. Plus the shipping and for me I am willing to pay a little just for being able to walk in, buy, and walk out.

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice thus far. What do you think of this deal? I will try to remember to get a price quote from my local guy tomorrow.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
Used is not the way to go then? Seems like that's the general consensus.
I wouldn't say that. Being new to guns may make it less attractive to you until you know what to look for. I've only had guns for two years, but I've only bought three new guns, the rest have been used. Just because someone sold a gun that you see at a gunshop or show doesn't mean it's no good. It may be something someone didn't like shooting or didn't like how it felt in their hands, or it was more gun than they wanted. If you see something at a shop, ask if you can have a gunsmith inspect it before you buy it, or if they'll let you return it after taking to be examined. Of course, they probably won't let you shoot it, but a smith should be able to see if there's anything wrong with the gun without shooting it.

It's sort of like buying a used car, someone else paid full price for it and you get it at a discount....

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #16

If you are using the gun for target shooting and plinking you may want a little longer barrel, also you may want to think about stainless steel over blued, no rust worries. Check this link they have many Rugers http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_cat_search.php?cated=26&manufacturers_id= 369&ITATR_list%5B1%5D=&ITATR_list%5B2%5D=&ITATR_li st%5B3%5D=110&ITATR_list%5B4%5D=&ITATR_list%5B5%5D =&ITATR_list%5B6%5D=&ITATR_list%5B7%5D=&ITATR_list %5B8%5D=&ITATR_list%5B9%5D=&ITATR_list%5B0%5D= John

Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 AM   #17

Painted I never said not to go used , just check to see if the maker will repair it with you being the second owner .

Another option is if the gun shop will give you a written return/repair policy that clearly spells out that you CAN test fire the weapon .

Semiautos can malfunction for something as simple as improper cleaning and lubrication .

You may well get a great gun at a great price Used , "I have a few times" or you may get one that simply needs a minor part replacement such as a spring or the ejector .

I just think you need to go into it with your eyes open .

Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #18

Ok, cool.

I checked on the Ruger MKIII and the local gun shop had one for $270.00 brand new. I was REALLY tempted to pick it up right there on the spot. I resisted the temptation however and decided to keep looking around for a bit.

I am now trying to decide between a revolver and pistol for my first handgun purchase. I don't know why but I am just sort of enamored by revolvers. (I am especially drawn to the Judge from Taurus but there is no way I can afford it at this time) I have had a friend and someone on here suggest the Heritage rough rider. http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/37109_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Heritage_Heritage_Arms_Rou gh_Rider.aspx
The price is definitely right on one of those and with the money I save on buying that I would have a good start on getting yet another gun. Maybe moving to something more powerful than a 22.

I was also heavily considering a Sig arms "mosquito"
http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/57759_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Sig_Arms_Sig_Arms_Sig_Saue r_Mosq.aspx
or a Taurus of some sort. Their lifetime warranty is very attractive and from what I have come to understand their quality is pretty good as well. Any ideas all?

Also I have two more quick and, as usual, complete newbie questions.

1.What caliber is the next step up from a .22? (or cheapest to shoot)

2.What is the lowest caliber for a shotgun? (or cheapest to shoot)

Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
Ok, cool.

Also I have two more quick and, as usual, complete newbie questions.

1.What caliber is the next step up from a .22? (or cheapest to shoot)

2.What is the lowest caliber for a shotgun? (or cheapest to shoot)
The next caliber up is the .25, but it's not really cheap. The 9mm luger is the next up that's cheap. The .32s and .380s are out there, but they cost more.

410 bore is the smallest production shotgun, but the shells are pricey. 20 gauge and twelve gauge are about the same price, but the 20 is sometimes harder to find. Especially if you're looking for buckshot.

If you get the Rough Rider, let us know how you like it. I've considered getting one myself....

Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #20

rugers make great target pistols. .22lr is also a great round to learn and practice basic marksmanship skills. all advanced shooting is rooted in basic markmanship. Body position/grip, trigger squeeze, sight picture, breathing. find out (if possible) how many rounds have been put through that used mark II. it's like mileage on a used car. also look for wear and tear on the muzzle and chamber, feed ramp, firing pin etc.